Clearvue Cyclone Install Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
I decided on the Clearvue cyclone and so far I am not impressed. I am hoping that that performance will make up for the installation issues. Here are some comments:

I purchased the $45 mounting bracket and wish I hadn't. It is very cheap 1/8" thick aluminum and while it may support the cyclone, I do not want to trust this large of an investment to something so cheap. Spend a few extra bucks and make a unistrut mount with 1/4" steel shelf brackets. Also, there is nothing in the manual about wall clearance. After spending hours coming up with an acceptable wall mount and hoisting the motor up I find that it ends up too close to the wall to mount the blower housing, so back to square one. And the aluminum brackets would have the same issue. The manual is very lacking in both instructions and pictures. The pictures in the manual are not high enough resolution to see the order of nuts and washers on the motor mount.

Once I figure out how to take down the motor, remake my mount and rehang the motor I will post more progress and observations.

Attachments

• image-184551536.jpg
    image-184551536.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 134
  • image-3660696665.jpg
    image-3660696665.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 142
  • image-3406612199.jpg
    image-3406612199.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 157

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Tim,

My installation of my CV1800 was done long before ClearVue offered the Mounting Bracket. I made mine using the plans they provide in the Installation Manual (the plywood and 2 x 4 plans) and I also relied on the measured drawing on the website that shows typical mounting dimensions and clearances. Did the Addendum to the manual (page 27), not provide sufficient information? I'm not defending the adequacy of the Mounting Bracket, but I know the wood version works okay.

In looking at your pictures, it appears that you should have enough wall clearance -- the position of the main motor mount plate can be adjusted out from the wall if needed as long as you don't go too far.

timf67

New User
Tim
If my measurements are correct, the centerline of the blower housing is 11 to 11.5" depending on orientation and the centerline of the motor mount is 9". This means I need to slide it out about 2.5" which I am not comfortable with using the brackets I have. Yes, I know it keeps the costs down by being DIY, but the documentation should call this out.

timf67

New User
Tim
I am back on track with the install. I came up with a fix that should work. I installed full size strut channel with 3/4" (yellow) nuts as spacers between the new strut channel and the original strut channel frame. This moved the motor centerline out about 2.25" and seems to be the right spacing from the wall now. The blower housing is assembled, caulked, and mounted along with the cyclone body. I still need to connect the cyclone to the collection drum (Clearvue forgot to include the 6" flex that is normally included). Then I will build a stand for the filter stack so that it can connect to the blower housing outlet transition. Will finish up by installing 6" polyethylene piping with PVC fittings. The electrical is finished and I've test run the blower. I must say that the air volume moved is impressive.

A few small frustrations have come up in addition to the wall spacing issue. The predrilled holes to attach the inlet transition to the cyclone were angled towards the cyclone body which made it nearly impossible to tighten the screws. The other screws included for assembly are drywall screws and I just don't trust them so I swapped them out for some #10 Robertson heads.

All in all, if you have patience, problem solving skills and are fairly handy I think you will end up happy with it. I will post another review after I get the bin and filters installed

Attachments

• image-459441659.jpg
    image-459441659.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 174
  • image-3904830369.jpg
    image-3904830369.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 149
  • image-1306103790.jpg
    image-1306103790.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 159
  • image-3379540447.jpg
    image-3379540447.jpg