Clear finish for an outdoor white oak bench

rusty

New User
Rusty
Been looking at these threads and cant make up my mind for a finish.
Do not want a hard finish, maybe an oil based product that can be reapplied without much trouble.
Or BLO mixture but does it actually cures?

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I made a 5' white oak garden bench that sits under roof on our front porch. I sprayed on 3 coats of oil based spar varnish. The first two coats I diluted 50% and 40% with mineral spirits to get good penetration. It's been less than a year, but it's holding up great; zero discoloration. When the time comes I'm assuming a light scuffing and two fresh coats should make it like new again.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
You might look at Odies Oil - I do not have a lot of experience with it... yet, but I put it on our front door after sanding off the Helmsman spar varnish...(CRAP)
The door is under a porch, so probably not as great a test as with your bench, but they claim it will survive...
The best part?... easy to recoat, and that was my biggest deciding factor...

"Contains natural UV inhibitors-sunscreen for your wood!
Odie's Oil is great for interior and exterior applications: Boats, Bright work, Doors, Floors, Decks, Gates, Fine Furniture, Patio Furniture, Bowls, Cutting Boards, Kitchen Implements, Toys, etc., etc. The list goes on and on!"

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
You might look at Odies Oil
Hank, Did you go with just the oil, or did you use the super penetrating oil as a first coat? I'm getting ready to do my front door and was planning on going with Sikkens but the Odies looks like a good idea.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank, Did you go with just the oil, or did you use the super penetrating oil as a first coat? I'm getting ready to do my front door and was planning on going with Sikkens but the Odies looks like a good idea.
I just used the regular odie's oil, I wanted to get the super penetrating oil, but just didn't take the time - I am REALLY pleased with how it turned out. I should have taken more time and stained or dyed portions of the door to make it look more even, but that was the purpose of this experiment... I sanded and stained and put the varnish on 3-ish years ago and it literally was chipping and falling off the door!
The only option was to strip or sand or scrape it off. My attraction to the odies oil is this spring, I plan to pressure wash the porch (including the door) and when it is dry I will apply another coat - how easy is that?!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors