Classified Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I deleted the ad and sent Chris and Kyle a message explaining that per the Classifieds Policy commercial ad's were not allowed. I offered a solution of posting a thread in the wood section, like Kyle did the other day, with eye candy and told them they should put a link to their site in their signatures. Then they could up date their web site with their stock and prices.

I really hate that we have that policy though, as I see the classifieds as a totally different animal than the paid ads on the side bars. Is there a better option for them?

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
This has been discussed and voted on by the Board, and in fairness to the folks that pay for ads on our site on a monthly basis the board felt that we should limit commercial ads to paid tombstone type ads. They always have the flexibility to post in a thread as you stated.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Then what's really the difference?

I thought the purpose of the classifieds was to keep the forums clear of a bunch of for sale threads.

TracyP

Tracy
Commercial sales are treated different. One time for sale items can be listed in the classified section. Such as if I bought a lot of stock to do a project and had a lot left over that would be acceptable in the classified section. Repeated sales such as Jeff's lumber runs, Chris' turning blanks, etc. belong in thread form and not in the classified ads. They can always purchase a tombstone ad that is visible on every page, or post in the wood forum.

From the classified policy:

Commercial firms or Members wanting to place Banner or Sidebar Ads should use the Contact Us link for options available. For profit Members selling lumber, turning woods or other unfinished raw wood products may post a thread in the Wood Forum as long as the following criteria are met: (1) The offering is exclusively for NC Woodworker members; (2) Pricing should be lower than normal sales at their regular place of business; and (3) A discount to members and/or a nominal donation to NC Woodworker, Inc. per $100 in total sales is included in the offering. All added costs such as sales tax or shipping and handling should be clearly spelled out. "Special Sales" shall be limited to once per Commercial Member per month. No finished products may be offered. NC Woodworker, Inc. does not endorse or warrant any products offered and retains the right to remove any ads.

Commercial Members may post notice of woodworking events or classes for woodworkers in the User Announcement Forum.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Thanks for the explanation...I guess what's confusing folks, and me, is that I see the tombstones as more of a billboard on the side of the road and a cork board for folks to post business cards on.

Do you mind if I send Kyle and Chris your response in a PM?

TracyP

Tracy
Thanks for the explanation...I guess what's confusing folks, and me, is that I see the tombstones as more of a billboard on the side of the road and a cork board for folks to post business cards on.

Do you mind if I send Kyle and Chris your response in a PM?

Not at all, just be sure to include the edit I just did.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I really hate that we have that policy though, as I see the classifieds as a totally different animal than the paid ads on the side bars. Is there a better option for them?

One thing that may not be obvious from the policy is that this also guarantees fairness to our advertisers. We don't want Klingspor etc. posting in the Classifieds, for obvious reasons. But, they do sell lumber as well. Our classifieds have a very prominent position on the home page, just like the tombstone ads. By using the Wood forum instead, people can still sell, we can still great deals, but we're not giving "freebies" to commercial companies.

A perfect solution? Probably not. But it's workable.

M

McRabbet

About our only other option would be to charge a flat rate for a commercial ad in the classifieds section. In order to be fair, it would need to be comparable to the rate that tombstone ads are charged, but for a shorter period. Tombstone Ads currently cost $50/month with a 3-month minimum ($1.67 per day). Perhaps we could offer a 10-day ad for $25 (with a 10-day minimum) and mark it as a Paid Ad. Just food for thought.

TracyP

Tracy
About our only other option would be to charge a flat rate for a commercial ad in the classifieds section. In order to be fair, it would need to be comparable to the rate that tombstone ads are charged, but for a shorter period. Tombstone Ads currently cost $50/month with a 3-month minimum ($1.67 per day). Perhaps we could offer a 10-day ad for $25 (with a 10-day minimum) and mark it as a Paid Ad. Just food for thought.

Actually good food for thought. That may very well be a viable option.

M

McRabbet

Ironically, I posted this before I read what Kyle suggested in Robert Arrowood's thread. I am not opposed to charging for Lumber Ads, but we need to be cautious that we do not open Pandora's box and lose control (or our commercial tombstone ads). I doubt that Kyle or Chris would be willing to pay $25 for a 10-day ad, but that is pretty close to the rate our paying ads provide. Maybe we could charge $20/10-day Ad, but not something as low as $5 for a single Ad like Woodweb offers.

TracyP

Tracy
Ironically, I posted this before I read what Kyle suggested in Robert Arrowood's thread. I am not opposed to charging for Lumber Ads, but we need to be cautious that we do not open Pandora's box and lose control (or our commercial tombstone ads). I doubt that Kyle or Chris would be willing to pay $25 for a 10-day ad, but that is pretty close to the rate our paying ads provide. Maybe we could charge $20/10-day Ad, but not something as low as $5 for a single Ad like Woodweb offers.

a little off topic, but I am in contact with Moses about a tombstone ad now. Will probably place the ad next week.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
What about these ads? Deleter, let them go, send a message?

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=743

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=623

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=622

I understand that Brian doesn't have a "business" but he's sold a LOT of lumber. When is it a business or commercial?

It gets screwy, but I will throw out my two cents. Brian isn't operating a "business". He is selling off stock that he has (at least that is what we believe/know). Chris has gone commercial. He is selling and harvesting on eBay, and he has even changed his name to be a company.

The tombstones do make us money, and allowing a "business" to use the classifieds undermines the value to our paying advertisers. Like Bas said, it isn't a perfect solution, but we did go back and forth on what is what and what is not in all efforts to be fair and reasonable.

Heck, I would like to charge for classifieds, but then I think we would miss out on some deals that members post now since they are free. Conversely, I get tired of seeing the same ones get pushed back up to the top with the same prices over and over again......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS