Classes

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you try to help people the first thing they want to know is what do you get out of it.

This is why I don't give free woodworking lessons. I make it as low priced as possible but people are more appreciative and less suspicious when they pay for your help.

I teach only at my home shop. Only one student at a time so you get my full attention. The lesson is geared to your needs and can change course if you need concentration in a particular area.

I don't charge extra for small bits of material. My fee is quite reasonable, much less than anywhere else that I have seen.

When the pandemic has passed and it is safe to gather again I hope to have more group workshops but for now this seems to be the best answer for me. All my students seem to be very happy and have learned more than they expected.

If I can help you please let me know through a private message. I can also provide other services on hand tools, planes, and machinery in my shop or yours.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Mike Davis you have helped me SO much I could never repay you!
Normally I am turned of by "Crafts" teachers the condescending attitude that seems to be part of the course content shrieks off them...
Thank you for your past teaching and help and thank you for your on-going commitment to helping get as many people interested in this craft as you can!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike I have been thinking about this for the last couple months. I guess since my 2nd vaccine. I am prepared to open my shop for one or two people if anyone is interested in scroll saw lessons. Yes there would be a very modest fee part of which will go to NCWW.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Scott, that’s great! I hope others will do the same as they get vaccinated or feel safe being around others.

We have used the masks, hand sanitize, and distancing as much as possible. No problems that I know of so far.

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Fortunately, I've received both of my shots already as has my son. We would be interested in a lathe class. We've made a couple chess boards and he wants to turn his chess pieces. Nothing like jumping right into the deep end!

Mike - I believe you're ~2 hours from Wake Forest and Scott is ~1 1/4 hours. I don't mind driving that far because I know I'd get a lot out of the class. I'm not sure how long the classes are but it would be ideal if Eric and I could have a class in the same day.

I don't know when I'd be fit for using a lathe though (recovering from surgery) but when you are ready I'll definitely look to sign up.
Thanks!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
@Mike Davis is spot on. a Good Teacher will outline what can be accomplished, explain the path, assess the student's level of understanding and starting point, and begin from there. Then the goal set can be realistic and accomplish-able Everyone is slightly different. So, no one methed can or should be used when teaching.
A good teacher then instills the joy and satisfaction of reaching for and attaining that goal. This is how you nurture the passion in the student to continue.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
For anyone interested I am retired so I am not locked into doing classes only on the weekends. Retired does not meaning just sitting around so advanced planning is required.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Fortunately, I've received both of my shots already as has my son. We would be interested in a lathe class. We've made a couple chess boards and he wants to turn his chess pieces. Nothing like jumping right into the deep end!

Mike - I believe you're ~2 hours from Wake Forest and Scott is ~1 1/4 hours. I don't mind driving that far because I know I'd get a lot out of the class. I'm not sure how long the classes are but it would be ideal if Eric and I could have a class in the same day.

I don't know when I'd be fit for using a lathe though (recovering from surgery) but when you are ready I'll definitely look to sign up.
Thanks!
If a scroll saw class is what you would like it would be tailored to what you want. That is the beauty of the small group classes. P.S. my shop has a water view on three sides.

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
If a scroll saw class is what you would like it would be tailored to what you want. That is the beauty of the small group classes. P.S. my shop has a water view on three sides.
Thanks Scott...I have not done anything on a scroll saw and don't own one. I have a couple other items (new sander, dust collection) on my list before I get to the scroll saw.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS