Clarification: Handling fresh white pine

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
I want to clarify, my main question is: Does anyone know how long it will take the resin to dry so the logs can be handled without getting the stuff everywhere?

I have three down and a hang-up. I cut up one yesterday evening.

I wore $1 disposable gloves - the cheap weave with the rubber palms, but, of course still ended up with resin on the chainsaw grips because you have to move limbs as you cut them loose, etc. It almost got to the point that I was having trouble depressing the throttle trigger. The last time I did this the nasty stuff got everywhere. If I just leave them sit four a couple of weeks will the resin that oozes out set so they're not so nasty to handle? Or does that take so long that I might as well bite the bullet?

The goal is firewood, so there will be quite a bit of handling.

Also, any advice for cleaning the resin off the chainsaw? Gasoline? Goop?

Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Re: Handling fresh white pine

If you can find D&L Hand Cleaner Charles, it removes the pitch safely, almost odorlessly, and leave your hands clean and baby butt soft. I love/hate white pine. The pitch gets on you you, your clothes, your equipment, and your nerves, but it makes such beautiful early American furniture. Good luck.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member

If you can find D&L Hand Cleaner Charles, it removes the pitch safely, almost odorlessly, and leave your hands clean and baby butt soft. I love/hate white pine. The pitch gets on you you, your clothes, your equipment, and your nerves, but it makes such beautiful early American furniture. Good luck.

Charles, the same hand cleaner Bruce mentioned above will also clean your equipment.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

Pine does not make very good firewood. Maybe for a fire pit, but in a chimney or flue it will quickly build up resin and pitch in the chimney which can lead to a chimney fire if not cleaned frequently by a chimney sweep.

It burns fast and not that hot. Hardwoods make much better firewood. I wouldn't burn it in anything but a fire pit where you don't need to worry about creosote build-up. It can also give off a lot of embers as the flames get pretty intense at times.

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member

Pine does not make very good firewood. Maybe for a fire pit, but in a chimney or flue it will quickly build up resin and pitch in the chimney which can lead to a chimney fire if not cleaned frequently by a chimney sweep.

It burns fast and not that hot. Hardwoods make much better firewood. I wouldn't burn it in anything but a fire pit where you don't need to worry about creosote build-up. It can also give off a lot of embers as the flames get pretty intense at times.

I will be using it as starter and kindling for oak, which is mostly what I burn.

I appreciate your concern, but I've done a lot of research on that and talked to a chimney sweep. As long as it is properly dried there is no more danger of creosote with pine than any other wood. The sweep said dry pine trumps damp hardwood.

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member

Thanks. Bruce & Raymond. I picked some up last night. Haven't has a chance to try it out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS