Clamping Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

evanmace

New User
Evan
I'm building a cradle for my wife. For the bottom I've decided to use plywood with about a 1" band of oak around it. My dilemma is that my pipe clamps aren't long enough. And I'm too cheap to go buy more clamps. Any suggestions?

Here is a snapshot of the bottom from my sketchup model (don't know how to upload the whole model).

Screen_shot_2011-04-29_at_11_41_48_AM.png

View image in gallery

Any ideas?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have run into this issue a few times.

Solution...... I went to Lowes and picked up a couple piece's of 3/4" black pipe and a few couplers. (I think that I was short by about 18" on each clamp, the last time I had the issue. Two pieces of 24" black pipe and a pair of galvanized couplers and I was back in business. Pretty inexpensive solution too!:wsmile:)

I didn't run out to buy 72" Bessey's and pay a bunch!:icon_thum

Wayne

PS. You could just apply some painters tape to the edge 'til the glue dries too. Worked for me when doing edge banding.

Last edited:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
there's always gravity (at least I hope so :) )...

Following up on Wayne's PS, if you use painters tape and are worried you need pressure on it, do one end at a time and stand it on end for the first hour or two of drying. Edge banding is not structural; you should be fine just taping.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I didn't run out to buy 72" Bessey's and pay a bunch!:icon_thum

I wouldn't buy 72" clamps for edge banding either, but Lowes does carry a modified Bessey C-clamp intended for edge banding -- which is my preferred choice when I need to clamp edge banding.

Otherwise, I would reinforce the edge banding with some biscuits (or a spline) (which don't require clamping for strength) and then go the tape route. You could even go full-length tongue and groove with the edge banding if you wanted a really strong edge band. A few pins later and some tape and you'll have a tight edge band without the need for clamps.

Just my $0.02

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
do you have ratcheting tie downs? I am also kinda curious how big the cradle will be for. Is it for a baby or is it an adult sized cradle? :eusa_thin

tie-down-straps.jpg

evanmace

New User
Evan
Haha. It's for a baby. I made a cradle for my sister last year and decided it was too short, the baby barely fit after a couple weeks.
I'm thinking splines, tape, and gravity should do the trick.
I do have ratchet straps and have used them before for such assemblies, but found that it applies more pressure to one side, making it bow a little.
Any tips on getting splines just right?

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Any tips on getting splines just right?

To create the spline grooves accurately, use your router table and a few featherboards to hold everything tight against the fence -- just make sure you place a mark on the top or bottom face of all the pieces (your choice). Then make certain this mark consistently faces outward (or inward, again your choice) while you route all the grooves. This way if your grooves are not perfectly centered you will have created the same error all the way through the project and everything will still fit together perfectly.

For the spline, the easiest way to go is to use a plywood sized router bit and then cut them from a sheet of plywood that fits the resulting slot (experiment with scrap first). I have a 7/32" Freud bit (available from Home Depot, IIRC) that fits 1/4" plywood nicely. I've used it with the crappy 1/4" birch plywood available from Lowes -- it's not good plywood for much else, but it makes nice splines. Without glue the plywood might seem a little loose in the slot (but not too much so). Once a water based glue is added everything will swell a bit and the result will be a secure splined joint.

If you prefer a solid wood spline, remember that the spline's grain should run perpendicular (or at a significant angle, say 45deg or so) to the edge (e.g. endgrain should be visible along the spline's length when installed) for maximum strength. You can use a thickness planer to machine the splines to match your router bit, but you will have to create a series of shorter splines (my DW735 maxes out at 13" width) created from a long, thin, piece of wood. You would then use these 12-13" long splines to fill the length of the spline joint (there is no rule that says a spline has to be a single solid piece of wood running the entire length). Once thicknessed, cut them to their proper length and width at the table saw or bandsaw. Just beware that alignment of the edge banding may take a little longer with multiple short length splines, so you may wish to use a PVA glue with longer open time.

There are a multitude of ways to create the splines, so just think the process through using the equipment you have available to you. Once you are confident you have a safe process, go to work. If you do not have a router table and/or can not get hold of plywood sized bits, you can even use a dado blade on your table saw to create the spline slots, just beware that most dado sets have a minimum width of 1/4" or thereabouts, so plan your splines accordingly. Given the dimensions of the edge banding, *I* tend to feel safest grooving them on my router table -- YMMV.

PS - If you use a ratchet strap, be sure to protect the corners. The straps tend to apply the greatest pressure at each corner and that can result in crushed corners.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS