Christmas Present

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
BB ply (Baltic Birch Ply) should be Birch. There is also Appleply (marketed for a more American twist) that is either Birch or Alder laminations.
Now Birch being very tight grained like Maple doesn't take a oil-stain well without blotching. Dyes are going to be your best bet, and second would be a gel stain formulation that gives you more control over the application. A light cut shellac wash will help too.
MTCW,

Dave:)

Jay

New User
Jay
Thanks for all the information it has been very helpful. I will put it to use in future projects.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
BB ply (Baltic Birch Ply) should be Birch. There is also Appleply (marketed for a more American twist) that is either Birch or Alder laminations.
Now Birch being very tight grained like Maple doesn't take a oil-stain well without blotching. Dyes are going to be your best bet, and second would be a gel stain formulation that gives you more control over the application. A light cut shellac wash will help too.
MTCW,

Dave:)

:icon_scra hummm I though all ply was made with Poplur = I stand corrected :icon_thum

cskipper

Cathy
Jay, that piece is awesome! I'll bet you had a more than a few "prayerful" moments while cutting it!

Jay

New User
Jay
Yeah the worst one was one of the last cuts where the line runs through the water in the center of the project. The line really was not intended to be that thin. But we got through it anyway and if we hadn't just would have had to do some redesigning. lol Thanks for looking.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Jay, that's is BEAUTIFUL!! WOW! I can see why it took a while to finish. Nice work, Brother!

:icon_thum:icon_thum:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

john the man

New User
john
I've got to say it is beautiful, I like doing the plates, I wish I had that pattern I could get into that. I did a humingbird plate that turned out very well. I did a stack cut for 3, they all turned out nice.Did you stack?

Jay

New User
Jay
I have done some stack cutting. Mostly Christmas ornaments, but I did not stack cut the plate. I don't have a lot to invest in the wood so I make it last and give myself as many opportunities to cut as possible. The pattern came from a book Wildlife collector plates. I did another plate from it which was a quail.
IMG00171.jpg

I will try to make a mental note to write the information on the book down and post it in here next time I get in the shop.
Thanks for your interest and your kind comments.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I have done some stack cutting. Mostly Christmas ornaments, but I did not stack cut the plate. I don't have a lot to invest in the wood so I make it last and give myself as many opportunities to cut as possible. The pattern came from a book Wildlife collector plates. I did another plate from it which was a quail.
IMG00171.jpg

I will try to make a mental note to write the information on the book down and post it in here next time I get in the shop.
Thanks for your interest and your kind comments.

Jay this looks great - I think that I just recieved the book you are talking about - I haven't got to try any of them yet - Looking forward to trying some of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS