Christmas Present

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay

New User
Jay
My brother is a duck hunter and so I made this wildlife plate for him as a Christmas present. Took longer than I thought but still got it done in time. Phew!! Anyway here it is.
0073.JPG

Thanks for looking and any constructive criticism you may have. It is the only way I learn.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Fantastic art, Jay!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I can see that it will be hung in a very prominent spot.

It will be definitely treasured for years to come!

Very well done!:wsmile::wsmile::wsmile:

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Took longer than I thought but still got it done in time. Phew!! Anyway here it is.
0073.JPG

quote]

Well no wonder that's a very intricate piece. I can imagine finishing it in a years time. Beautiful work, I am sure you brother will appreciate it. Probably not as much as the time you put into it...but it will be appreciated.

Dave:)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't think your BIL would appreciate that piece enough. You oughta give it to someone else. I been thinkin' 'bout takin' up duck huntin' m'self. This'd give me a lil' motivation!:gar-La;
Beautiful work. I'd have a coupla ulcers before I could finish something like that. :icon_thum
I'm sure you're like a lot of the folks here in that this year you're making presents instead of buying them. If the people I'm making presents for this year enjoy them half as much as I have enjoyed making them, I'll be pleased.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Man, that is really a nice piece. Youshould be extremely proud of it.

woodrat

New User
Archie
I have to agree with the others....It is AWESOME!!!
You have skills way beyond me.

One has to be very patient for that kind of work. I'd
never make it 'cause I just don't have the patients to
work like that.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
WOW!!!!:swoon::notworthy::swoon::notworthy::swoon:

What's to criticize?:dontknow: Looks great to me!:eusa_danc I'm with the others, if I tried something like that; well. . .:BangHead::help::kamahlitu:realmad::slap::new_blowi

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jay you did an outstanding job on a tough design. Your brother will be very pleased. :thumbs_up

Jay

New User
Jay
Jay great job dude:icon_thum love the colors - what kind of wood did you use

Sorry, it took so long to reply but was out of town for the holidays at the in laws. The piece was cut from baltic birch and stained with two different colored stains, a golden pecan I think and the other is like a red oak stain or something like that. Which brings me to a question. Has anyone stained baltic birch plywood and found that there are some parts of the "end grain" for a lack of a better term that will not seem to take a stain no matter what you do. I guess I should say that I don't know what to do to get them stained. If you have any advice for me please let me know.

tinman

New User
x0x0x0x0
Jay,
Really great looking work. Like everyone, before me, the contrasting wood makes a major impression. I'm curious as to the type woods used also. Are they BB and reverse side of Luan?
I usually get a nice breakage after about being 9/10ths done using solid wood-lol.
Regards,
Ken McGinnis

tinman

New User
x0x0x0x0
Jay,
Please disregard my previous post. Duhhhhh! I didn't see that there was a second page to thread on my browser at the time I tried a quick reply to your original post-lol.
Sincerely,
Ken McGinnis

sawduster

New User
Robert
Jay that is very nicely cut man ! :eusa_clap

BB is notorious for coming out " blotchy " when stained . It can be rather frustrating at times :BangHead:
Mostly I use BLO on BB but even that can be problematic as it often will darken around the cut areas ....like it seeps in deeper or something

Really good job on a tough pattern :icon_thum

PChristy

New User
Phillip
To my understanding - the ply in BB is Poplur and Poplur is very hard to stain even on the flat grain it will sometimes come out "blotchy" - I have cut Oak ply BB ply Leuon and others and tried to stain the "end grain" and doesn't matter which one they still darken in some spots as Robert mentioned in his post. Now when I cut a portrait I use Oak and clear finish it - if I do stain any of the picture I just stain the Oak grain not the cut - from now on when I do contrasting colors I will use solid wood and stack cut them to prevent breakage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS