Chopsaw Station Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
About 10 days ago, I decided that in spite of my limited shop real estate, I really needed a better/safer stand for my miter saw.

It ended up 72" long, about 37" tall and 26" deep. I used 3/4" birch plywood for most of the carcass except the top infeed/outfeed tables and the saw support that are covered in melamine. Also used poplar for the base, edge banding, face frame and door rails and stiles.

I also opted to try out the Kreg Top-track.

Here are a couple of pictures....

100_2902.jpg

100_2903.jpg

100_2897.jpg

A couple of challenges along the way.:icon_scra:icon_scra

1st was getting the saw supported in-line with the left and right tables. A brief conversation with Joe Scharle and I was on my way. A few fender washers and a cutup credit card as shims was all it took! (Thanks Joe!)

Next big issue was making sure that the extension fences were perfectly aligned with the saws OEM fence.

Splint Eastwood (Matt) came to my rescue in offering me the use of his 6 foot aluminum level. He also provided me with a 3 inch hole saw for me to cut a hole in the back of the cabinet for the shopvac hose. (Thanks Matt!):eusa_clap

Using the level clamped to the OEM fence made screwing down the extension fences a snap!

100_2907.jpg

Now I just need to do a little more sanding here and there and then clear out some stuff to find a parking place for it.

My only regret at this time is that I wished I could have made it at least about 24 inches longer. Oh well. You play the cards that you were dealt and move on, right?

Thanks for all of the prior posters of miter saw stations here at NCWW'r.:eusa_clap:icon_thum Definitely inspired me to do something here in my garage/shop!

Thanks for looking.

Wayne

(WOW! This must be miter satation week at NCWWr. I just noticed that 'cyclopentadiene' posted a similar thread. Nice work!)

Last edited:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Nice job! I don't like hearing the words "chop saw" though. These words are better suited to wood butchers, than woodworkers, IMHO. Thanks for referring to it as a miter saw station. That term better describes what I see in your pictures. Wayne, did you check out the air compressor in Fuquay that "probably needs new brushes?"

Glennbear

Glenn
:icon_thum Nicely done Wayne. Your "shop cabinetry" appears to meet kitchen cabinet standards. :wsmile:

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Wow!

Wayne, that looks great!

On the extension fence, tie downs, did you use aluminum? or steel angle?

Looks really really good. I like the shop vac, underneath. Dedicated Dust Collector for Miter Saw!

Very Slick!

Matt

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Wayne, that it a great station! You have some serious skills. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
....... Wayne, did you check out the air compressor in Fuquay that "probably needs new brushes?"

Bruce,

I seem to recall you grabbed that one.:wsmile::icon_thum

I try to keep it simpler. I tend to look for tools with 'burnt out motors' with a good reset button!:gar-Bi

Wayne

Wow!

Wayne, that looks great!

On the extension fence, tie downs, did you use aluminum? or steel angle?

Looks really really good. I like the shop vac, underneath. Dedicated Dust Collector for Miter Saw!

Very Slick!

Matt

Thanks Matt.

The extension fences were anchored with 1/8" thick, 1" angle aluminum. I initialy bought the 1.5" angle, but it got way to close to the back of the top track. (In order for the flipstop to be effective, Kreg suggests a 2 1/2" fence height.)

Wayne

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
So Wayne now that you have it mastered when should I expect mine to be ready? :rolf:

Very nice... Looks like I better get busy in my shop. You are light years ahead.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Nice job Wayne !:icon_thum Are you going to put doors on the side wings, or leave them open ? I left them open on my miter station for cut offs and small pieces.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice job Wayne !:icon_thum Are you going to put doors on the side wings, or leave them open ? I left them open on my miter station for cut offs and small pieces.

My plan was to leave them open for cutoffs, as well.

With the exception of the top left/right. This afternoon I am going to take a look at possibly mounting my Worksharp on a sliding shelf in one of the cubbies. Not sure if I will have enough clearance though. I'll see.

Thanks Jimmy

Wayne

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nicely done :thumbs_up

Kinda curious, what was your plywood source?

Thanks Steve.

For this one, I used two sheets of 3/4" Birch and 1 sheet of 1/2" Birch from Home Depot. The only plywood I buy there is Purebond made by Columbia Forest here in N. Carolina. I have had very good luck with it. Not a single void in these three sheets. Kinda pricey though @ around $46/sheet!!!!!!!!:elvis: Same price for Birch or Oak veneer.:dontknow:

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors