Chisel Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the1g8r

New User
Gator
Hello everyone. I have a simple question that will probably bring numerous answers, but here goes. As a novice woodworker with the bulk of my experience in building disciplines; I now find myself moving more towards my goal of a true woodworker; at least as a hobby. As such, my old set of "beater" chisels no longer fill my needs. I'm looking for recommendations for quality chisels dedicated to the shop as precision trimming instruments. I'm well aware that flattening and sharpening them will be required from the get go, so that is not a deterrent. I'm not ready to pull the trigger on a set of lie nielsons yet, but I am considering a set of Stanley sweethearts. What's your opinion? I'm open to other brands so please don't limit your response to only brands listed above. Thanks and happy woodworking.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I have several sets of chisels that I've accumulated over the years -- from old hardware store plastic handled ones to Buck Brothers to a full set of Marples (English made) to full sets of Narex bench and mortise chisels. Narex chisels are a good bet -- they are made in Czechoslovakia and have good steel and are well made for the price. I would favor them over the newer Stanley Sweetheart chisels. It is all about the steel. Here is a link to the Narex sets from Lee Valley Tools.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have the Stanley Sweetheart chisels and find them to be adequate chisels for the price. Chris Schwarz recommends them. They were flat and sharp out of the box, only needed honing to full sharpness.

At one of our WW workshops Roy Underhill had a dozen Blue Spruce chisels and the metal seemed to be about the same at the Stanleys but the handles were quite heavy, rosewood I think. I wouldn't pay the difference even though they were perhaps finished nicer.

StephenK

New User
Stephen
I bought a 1/2" Stanley Sweetheart, then bought a 3/8" and 3/4" when they were on sale at Woodcraft's Greensboro store closing (40% off I think). I like that they're socket chisels and they feel nice in my hand.

The backs weren't flat, but they are now.

I haven't held a lie-nielson chisel. I imagine that if I held one in comparison to the Stanley, I'd probably pay the extra $20. Again, that's my imagination.

The Stanley chisels feel nice and I can pare or chop hard maple, oak, and teak with as much control and precision as my limited abilities allow...

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Gator,
If you get to Atlanta - you could go into Hihgland Hardware - they sell all three!
Stanley Sweetheart, Narex and the Lie Nielson.

The 8 piece set of Stanley's happen to be on sale from $229 to $199!

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/chisels.aspx

I looked on the Klingspore site but could not find any chisels other than Robert Sorby...

Woodcraft is showing the Stanley's at $229...

I have an old set of craftsman plastic handled sharpened to shave the fur off my hands...
Always wanted to spend the money on a "good" set, but pretty hard to when the one you have works so well!
I did buy one narex (1/8 width) because I needed it, GREAT tool...

Scott was a little faster to post...

Last edited:

Bapakleo

New User
Leo
Gator, judging from your comments, like most of us, you probably don't have the experience to know the difference between a really good tool and a great one. Hold it, look at it, try it. If you think it will do well for you, it probably will. (Got this advice from a golf pro many decades ago about clubs, and every pro I've talked to since has agreed). Really good tools are expensive. There's a catch. Paying a high price does not insure you get your money's worth, but going on the cheap certainly tells you what you'll get. On the other side of the coin, a super star can do better with cheap chisels than I can with the best chisels. Guess you have to ask yourself if you are a super star.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
I really like the LN. They are very well balanced, take a good edge, and retain that edge. I bought a couple of Stanley Sweethearts and returned them when I tool a closer look at the backs. The $20 difference wasn't worth the envisioned extra time lapping the back flat (to me, at least).

I do second the notion of having one in your hand to help determine what is best for you.

A note on the LN, I am going to glue the handles in place, as sooner of later I won't pick them up by the socket and one will hit the floor. One in partcular is just too small for its socket (i.e. a good tap on the bench won't ensure its security for that use.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
I really like narex chisels for a good bargain buy. they take a very keen edge and hold it well. i had some stanleys but never felt they would get as sharp, ymmv. The only difference I'd notice w/ the LNs would be by bank account. For that money, I'd opt for the new PMV11 chisels from Lee valley. If you're buying a set, think about the sizes you'll use. For me 1/4", 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, and 1" are what i use. FWIW, lots of old chisels floating about just waiting to get put back to work.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
O.K. I had a few minutes and thought I would stop in at Wood craft because I KNOW they have the Sweetheart chisels... they didn't! on order, next week...

BUT they did have a set of Irwin - Marples - $69.99
these are plastic handles, but still a good chisel...

Marples.jpg

THEN....
I see this:
wood_River.jpg

Gator IMHO - this is, I'm thinking about buying a chisel set - holy cow - NOW is the time to BUY!!!!!
I encourage others to weigh in - but in my experience Wood River is a good to great product and $60 is a flea market "Buy it now" price!

Gator IMHO - this is, I'm thinking about buying a chisel set - holy cow - NOW is the time to BUY!!!!!
I encourage others to weigh in - but in my experience Wood River is a good to great product and $60 is a flea market "Buy it now" price!

Well this will probably come across as argumentative since lately any discussion could be called this

but I would not call it flee market
here is a set of Narex
Set of 7 Chisels (1/4" to 1")$74.00

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67707&cat=1,41504

so 6 for 60 is $10 a piece
and 7 for 74 is about $10.60 a piece

are the wood river better then this I do not know but I doubt they would be any worse and this is 7 not 6 for a few bucks more.... we could talk shipping or sales tax but I did finished my set of Narex out the other week and got the left and right skew chisel set as well with the free shipping they had going on so other then paying for the chisels they showed up at my door with no effort.... I was lucky I got them all because the box was ripped open but luckily they were all still in the package

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
I cannot recommend the Marples at any price. I have a set that does not hold an edge for any length of time. If you only want to pare with them, they may be adequate. Mine chip quickly with even light mallet taps in hard wood.

Last edited:

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I have no experience with either Wood River or Narex chisels, but I do have 20 years use on the blue-handled Marples pre-Irwin.

I paid $19.99 for my set..so you know that was a long time ago.

The only problem I've ever had is I once chipped an edge chopping dovetails in pecan. That wood is hard. Never a problem in the other domestics tho.

-Mark

blakeyon2asd

New User
blake
I've found that if you can find one that is metal all the way through the tang and if it will hold an edge it's good. I've never owned one that cost more than then bucks and have never had any problems.

blakeyon2asd

New User
blake
Following up on Blake's comment, here is Paul Sellers' making his case for cheap chisels. (Obviously, we need to apply American sensibilities to his British realities.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki8tt-VjwqI
Great video! I've watched some of his before this mostly hand planing videos. It's awesome to see someone does everything by hand. Also he doesn't say how dangerous it can be sharping the chisel, all it takes is for the pressure hand to slip in front and the other to go forward and you'll have a filet of finger so to speak lol

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Gator - this is great!
$84 bucks delivered to your door!

Looking a little deeper - I see an even better deal than the wood river (which is where I would spend my $60 rather than on Narex) (personal preference)

Check this out - 6 chisels $58 delivered to your door!
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/narex-chisels.aspx

I think you have two (or more) brands to choose from and everyone here would think you got a good deal and great tools!

Last -Jeff makes a good point - you might give Ed Lebetkin a call and see what he has - for an hours drive you might find some good OLD tools!

I think this is a great lively discussion and any "What is your opinion on..." always will be - I think you now are armed with information to be able to purchase a set of chisels!

Well this will probably come across as argumentative since lately any discussion could be called this

but I would not call it flee market
here is a set of Narex
Set of 7 Chisels (1/4" to 1")$74.00

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67707&cat=1,41504

so 6 for 60 is $10 a piece
and 7 for 74 is about $10.60 a piece

are the wood river better then this I do not know but I doubt they would be any worse and this is 7 not 6 for a few bucks more.... we could talk shipping or sales tax but I did finished my set of Narex out the other week and got the left and right skew chisel set as well with the free shipping they had going on so other then paying for the chisels they showed up at my door with no effort.... I was lucky I got them all because the box was ripped open but luckily they were all still in the package

at one time the Narex from Lee Valley were True Imperial Sizes.... and the ones from highland were metric and aproximate imperial....

this is how it used to be and not sure if this is still the case it is a question I would ask before ordering

but it is why I went with Lee Valley Narex to start with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS