Chip in my frame(update w/ pix

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
If this was wood I would know how to fix it and I know I should have went with wood but she wanted a black frame - I am guessing that this is made out of some kind of plastic - any of you have any ideas on how to fix this - I already have the picture in and sealed on the back and I would hate to take it back out -
ChipFrame1.jpg

View image in gallery

Last edited:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Re: Chip in my frame

Would epoxy work/sandable if I could dye it some how = coffee grounds:eusa_thin

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Clear epoxy and then a black magic marker or sharpie ????

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member

I would be a bit leery about using epoxy. Reason being that it will dry a lot harder than the plastic, so will be very difficult to level to the existing surface. I would think CA would be a better choice - easier to flatten and finish to the correct gloss.

As for coloring it, maybe one of the pen turners could chime in with what thickness and what dyes would work with it.

I wish you good luck with it.

Go

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

You think your bondo man could fix it for me - I have tried my hand with that stuff - not pretty:no:
Out of the eight that work for me, we should be able to find one that can fix it.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

I would be a bit leery about using epoxy. Reason being that it will dry a lot harder than the plastic, so will be very difficult to level to the existing surface. I would think CA would be a better choice - easier to flatten and finish to the correct gloss.

As for coloring it, maybe one of the pen turners could chime in with what thickness and what dyes would work with it.

I wish you good luck with it.

Go

Can I dye this

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian

If you don't find another satisfactory solution, I could probably repair that with composite resin. I'd have to do a bit of experimenting with dyes to get the shade right, but I would enjoy the challenge. let me know if I can help.

Mr. Bill

New User
Bill Hinds

Have you considered crayons? The BIG boxes have lots of colors that you could melt and match.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

I have a slightly different perspective....

When I look at the chip, what stands out is the color contrasts due to the texture contrasts (the chipped area is rough, the rest is smooth). Before trying to fill and color match it, you might want to try simply sanding it down and then polishing it out. I would start with sandpaper and then end up with automotive type finishes (compound, etc) and do the entire frame.

I'll bet that if you did this you would not see the depression from more than a few inches away.

At any rate, the best thing to do would be to remove the photo/painting and glass before proceeding.

sawduster

New User
Robert

If it were me, I would bite the bullet and replace the frame :tongue2:. It sux but the fact of the matter is that you worked hard on the piece , it is for a paying customer ( I assume ) and it should be as perfect as possible when delivered. A repaired composite frame just doesn't fit that criteria . It almost sounds like it would take just as much effort to repair the frame as to replace it. Not sure how you " seal " your work but to me replacing the frame just seems the right thing to do :icon_thum
If the repair is noticed by the customer and not mentioned beforehand then you lose some of that well deserved respect you have earned as an artist
you do outstanding work My Brother and it just don't seem right to compromise that :nah:
Fix the frame after the fact and use it for a " freebie " or a personal project

I did a portriat for a member here and there was a defect in the frame that I did not notice. When it was brought to my attention in passing I freaked out and begged him to let me replace the frame . The member did not think it was a big deal and didn't want it taken care of but it has worried me ever since and I carefully inspect all of my frames now because the next person might not be so accomodating. It may never even be mentioned, but there is a chance it will affect future business and my credibility
Every piece we put out there my friend is a direct reflection on us for years to come :eusa_thin

Just my 2 pennies for what it's worth bro

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy

If it were me, I would bite the bullet and replace the frame :tongue2:. It sux but the fact of the matter is that you worked hard on the piece , it is for a paying customer ( I assume ) and it should be as perfect as possible when delivered. A repaired composite frame just doesn't fit that criteria . It almost sounds like it would take just as much effort to repair the frame as to replace it. Not sure how you " seal " your work but to me replacing the frame just seems the right thing to do :icon_thum
If the repair is noticed by the customer and not mentioned beforehand then you lose some of that well deserved respect you have earned as an artist
you do outstanding work My Brother and it just don't seem right to compromise that :nah:
Fix the frame after the fact and use it for a " freebie " or a personal project

I did a portriat for a member here and there was a defect in the frame that I did not notice. When it was brought to my attention in passing I freaked out and begged him to let me replace the frame . The member did not think it was a big deal and didn't want it taken care of but it has worried me ever since and I carefully inspect all of my frames now because the next person might not be so accomodating. It may never even be mentioned, but there is a chance it will affect future business and my credibility
Every piece we put out there my friend is a direct reflection on us for years to come :eusa_thin

Just my 2 pennies for what it's worth bro

Exceptional response. I really think you have hit the nail on the head here. Phillip is an artist with his work and he should not compromise his extraordinary talent with a frame of lesser quality. :notworthy::notworthy:

PChristy

New User
Phillip

I think that I am going to take sawdusters advice and bite the bullet and replace the frame - I just hope they still have the same kind of frame(in better condition) this time or I will be replacing two of them:nah:

sawduster

New User
Robert

I think that I am going to take sawdusters advice and bite the bullet and replace the frame - I just hope they still have the same kind of frame(in better condition) this time or I will be replacing two of them:nah:

You are an honorable man Mr Christy:notworthy: you still got the receipt ? Take that bad boy back for a replacement :icon_thum

PChristy

New User
Phillip

You are an honorable man Mr Christy:notworthy: you still got the receipt ? Take that bad boy back for a replacement :icon_thum

I went to a different shop - the one I usually go to and should have to start with and got two different frames plus I went ahead and got the double matte - believe me that made a big difference - If the customer does not want to pay for the double I will take the loss - Like you said we need to have our work at its best and I think the double matte is better - Pictures to follow soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS