Chevron Pattern

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
I did a search for Chevron and did not find anything like what I want to do. For most of you, this is probably pretty basic, but please indulge a beginner.
My daughter bought a decorative fireplace mantle and would like a Chevron hearth which will be 18"x 60".
She wanted to use reclaimed pallet wood for it and wanted something like the design I attached. (I know this is not a hearth, it is just for illustrative purposes)
I plan to build a 2x4 frame with 3 "joists".

So my question is how do I determine the angles and the proper length, other than trial and error?
Thanks in advance,
Jim

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Instead of Chevron try searching for herringbone patterns. I think that's the more common term.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
If a is the angle above horizontal that the chevron points, and b is 1/4 the width of the panel (since in the example above there's four panes), then b/cos(a) should give you the length of the long pieces. The tops and bottoms will be shorter of course.

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
Instead of Chevron try searching for herringbone patterns. I think that's the more common term.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I searched herringbone in the forums and saw a few very nice projects and some pens, but none that explained how to set it up.
One of the threads that came up was for a guitar...holy cow, that is amazingly fine detail work.
Another had a counter with maple leaf inlays...with NO GAPS!!!!

With that said, the all-knowing google said that herringbone and chevron are not the same.
This brief article explained it for me to understand.
Herringbone vs. Chevron: What's the Difference? | ProTradeCraft

I guess since the herringbone is not cut with a miter, all the pieces are laid at a 45* angle to each other...seems simple enough

With chevron, I am presuming that you do not need to do 45* angles and can flatten the angle of the boards by changing the miter angle.

more googling needed.

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
If a is the angle above horizontal that the chevron points, and b is 1/4 the width of the panel (since in the example above there's four panes), then b/cos(a) should give you the length of the long pieces. The tops and bottoms will be shorter of course.
Thank you for the formula.
How do I determine the "angle above horizontal"

Jeff

New User
Jeff
"My daughter bought a decorative fireplace mantle and would like a Chevron hearth which will be 18"x 60"."

I plan to build a 2x4 frame with 3 "joists"."

A few questions for clarity and understanding.

1. Is 18" x 60" the length x height or the height x length?

2. what is a hearth by your definition?
"design I attached. (I know this is not a hearth, it is just for illustrative purposes)

3. what's the internal dimension between the 3 joists that makes a total of 4 panels?

4. Where will this hearth be placed?

Will your fireplace hearth include a mantel? Mantels are often used, but they are not a requirement for a fireplace hearth. Style is the determinate: Some traditional fireplace hearths do not rely on a mantel, while more modern-style homes might have one. A mantel does offer display space but might also become a source of clutter and distraction.
fireplace

nn4jw

New User
Jim
With that said, the all-knowing google said that herringbone and chevron are not the same.
This brief article explained it for me to understand.
Herringbone vs. Chevron: What's the Difference? | ProTradeCraft

That was a good explanation and I guess I always wrongly thought they were the same.

If you are going to use 45-degree angles there is a handy rule you can use for working out the lengths you need. This example has an unfortunate site name but it is accurate in method. For angles other than 45-degrees or 30-60-90 you'll have to resort to some high school trig. Just google "solving right angle trigonometry" for a refresher. It's actually pretty easy.

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
A few questions for clarity and understanding.
I added my answers and included a picture with labels (by my definition)

1. Is 18" x 60" the length x height or the height x length? Length and width of the hearth on the floor

2. what is a hearth by your definition? the area in front of a fireplace.

3. what's the internal dimension between the 3 joists that makes a total of 4 panels? they will be 15"o/c

4. Where will this hearth be placed? Floor

5. Will your fireplace hearth include a mantel? She has the mantle

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jim,

Is this kind of like you want to build for your daughter's fireplace hearth? I guess this lies flat on its back on the hearth?

Attachments

• ralitaco2.jpg
    ralitaco2.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 222

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Pinterest has many different ways to create the chevron pattern. Some of these illustrations can be found by searching quilting patterns.

If you are planning to glue up a panel, I would glue it up with the boards running horizontal. If you cut this panel at a 45 degree angle, invert one of the cut pieces, and square the panel, then you will have your chevron.

The herring bone is composed of rectangles put together in a V shape.

Keeping the angles at 45 degrees or 90 degrees makes either of these patterns simple to do, especially if you use a backer board.

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
Jeff and Steve, thank you both for your insight. I actually worked on planning this until about 230am.
I came up with some options based on where the "points" would be and various angles:
22.5 (preset on miter saw)
31.6 (preset on miter saw)
45 (preset on miter saw)
46.8 (corner to corner)

Attachments

• Chevron2.pdf
    703.6 KB · Views: 276

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
My head exploded - most because THIS reminded me of high school math class. Nice work!

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
Thanks again to all that provided input.
I finally made time with my daughter to cut the pieces and assemble the hearth. I ended up using the 31.6* angle preset on my miter saw. This provided an angle that was not too acute or obtuse (sorry for the math reference Scott). I pretty much guesstimated the lengths by cutting the angle on one end, then laying it on the frame. I marked the center of the "joist" on the piece and cut. The pieces ranged from 17 1/2" to 17 5/8". The only "issue" was that I ended up with some very small pieces in the corners, but other than that, it turned out ok...at least to my daughter and I. Of course I see the flaws and saw things that I would have done differently.

Here is what we ended up with. Now she is trying to decide how to finish (paint or stain) the frame to go with the white mantel.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

Sorry to be late to the subject but here is a more commonly used pattern for floor designs. It eliminates all the head scratching if you just cut a 45 "spacer board" to check that you are maintaining as you build. I have done tons of flooring using this pattern idea.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done, Jim. Is there a backer board in the frame that the pieces are fastened/glued too? Originally you were going to build the frame from 2 x 4s. Is that pallet wood and the darkened holes are where the nails were?

So this piece lies flat down on the "hearth" surface?

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
Thank you Dan. I will keep this in mind if she wants a herringbone pattern.

Thank you Michael.

Thanks Jeff. I routed a 1/2" rabbet around the perimeter of the 2x4 frame and installed 3 2x3 "joists" to staple into.
And it IS pallet wood with some of the nails left in place.

Here is the finished project
Rachel Hearth3.JPG

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS