Chestnut or Oak

Bnance

New User
Bobby
Is this reclaimed chestnut or reclaimed oak?It was taken from a very old building and was used as a workshop table top.
AC5B1764-492C-42EB-A257-85B3DC09AB1B.jpeg
7C455F09-22A0-4B94-B77E-615F134D2E83.jpeg
9A555529-432A-47B8-97DD-963A8BAD6973.jpeg
FCBB9D55-53D5-4998-A91D-761CB982E891.jpeg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like Chestnut to me (only becase of the bug holes)
How heavy is it (that would be my test - chestnut of the same size would be lighter than white oak...

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Had you asked "What type of wood is this?", I would have said: "White oak". However, I have never had any experience with chestnut, so can't rule it out.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Had you asked "What type of wood is this?", I would have said: "White oak". However, I have never had any experience with chestnut, so can't rule it out.
Agreed - the grain looks A LOT like White Oak, but I don't think powder post beetles or other insects attack White Oak - maybe someone smarter will weigh in?

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
My guess is oak. I have worked with and currently have both wormy chestnut and wormy oak. As Hank stated the chestnut will be a lighter weight for the same volume.

awldune

Sam
User
Going by this page:

I would guess that the wood is oak rather than chestnut due to having visible rays in the endgrain.

tiswritten

Tis
User
Appears to be White Oak. Typically very resistant to insects...that one piece looks like it laid on the ground for a while at some point which would have made it prone to insect attack.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Appears to be White Oak. Typically very resistant to insects...that one piece looks like it laid on the ground for a while at some point which would have made it prone to insect attack.

The observable medullary rays indicate something in the white oak family. Which of the white oak sub species is anybody's guess.
Chestnut, like sassafras, ash, and other ring porous species don't have easily observable medullary rays.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS