Chest of drawers finished...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryC

New User
Barry
Well I finally finished the chest of drawers for my daughter that is due in less than two weeks. I made quite a few mistakes and learned a lot about wood working and myself in the process. It isn't on par with a lot of the work I have seen you guys do but I am quite proud of it, mistakes and all. Here are a couple pics.

tn_DSCF0178.JPG

tn_DSCF0179.JPG

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Barry, that came out nice. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I'm sure your daughter, and most likely grand baby too, will cherish it dearly since it was made with lots of love.

Brian.

G_ville_worker

New User
Bryan
Looks nice Barry. I understand. My now 8 week old daughter got me back into woodworking also. This summer I built a toy box, dresser, night stand, and book shelf. I'm a teacher so I was able to spend the entire month of June working about 7am - 7pm. You are braver than me using stain. I did the distressed black paint thing to match other stuff in our house. This let me hide a few mistakes.

Keep at it!
Bryan

BarryC

New User
Barry
That chest is the first piece of finished furniture I have ever made. All of my building so far has been shop pieces like work tables, benches and shelves. To actually have built a piece of furniture feels strangely satisfying.

illegalsmile

New User
Jeff
That chest is the first piece of finished furniture I have ever made. All of my building so far has been shop pieces like work tables, benches and shelves. To actually have built a piece of furniture feels strangely satisfying.

:thumbs_up

How about sharing some details about your project ? What its made from, how you finished, what lessons you learned ? Those sorts of things. I wont call myself a newbie... but I sure am not a seasoned craftsman either... and its always great to hear the details.

And I bet NO ONE around here thinks that satisfied feeling you have is strange in any way shape or form !!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Looks good to me. Very nice! Just remember; if you ever build the perfect piece, you'll be the first to do so!

scrollski

New User
Jim
Nice job. early congrats on becoming a grandfather. My granddaughter is 1 year old. I am in the process of building her a rocking horse. After the horse is a little red wagon. It's great being a grandparent.

Jim

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
:eusa_danc:eusa_dancWell done, Barry!!!:eusa_danc

I really like the way you integrated the feet into the base. Did you work from a pattern for cutting the feet?

You definately have created something that will remain in family for years to come, I am sure.:icon_chee:icon_chee

Thanks for sharing!

Wayne

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Barry, I think you did a good job. You should be proud to display that and use it in your daughter's room.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
The only way to learn is to start something. It's beautiful and I am sure you daughter will treasure it for years to come. Take a bow and plan for the next one.

BarryC

New User
Barry
Thanks guys and gals your comments mean a lot!!!

Here are a few details on the chest. I bought Norm's Four drawer shest plans after watching the show on its build several times (I have is saved on the DVR). The sides, top and inner parts are plywood. The drawer fronts, feet and molding are Cherry. The case was really pretty easy to build and put together. My experiece before I started with a router table and making molding and using a dovetail jig was exactly zero...I had never done either. I burned thru lots of scrap wood getting them set up and that was a big learning experience. It is stained with a red mahogany and the finish is several coats of wipe on poly. The crib and this chest was my first experience with wipe on poly and I really like the way it looks and how easy it is to apply! There was a scale drawering of the feet and I made a template with scrap 1/4" plywood. Having an osillating spindle sander really made quick work of sanding to the lines!

I did something else that I wasn't sure about doing but did anyway. I rubbed paste wax over the entire chest including the drawer openings and bottom of the drawers. For opening and closing the drawers it really slicked them up. As for the outside of the chest except for the smell...which took longer to fade away than I thought...I think I did OK by waxing it.

I will have the crib put together and in the house today or according to my wife my butt is toast. And will post pics of it in another thread. We have less than a week before I get to meet my daughter!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Barry,

You did GOOD!

There is only one thing I think you should do...

... get another one of those NICE nameplates for it... to match the crib! :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS