Chest of Drawer

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Here's a look at my latest project, something for me. I don't get to do that much, so I'm pretty excited about moving it in the house. I've had the cherry for more than 10 years, maybe 15. I've had it earmarked for a bedroom suit and now it's under way. The drawers are on hardwood slides instead of metal, and there are grooves cut in the drawer sides to slide on. The top drawers have a small tray in there to put small items on that you wouldn't want buried in the bottom of the drawer. The design is one I made up, didn't go with a plan. I used a ton of dovetails too, very little construction in any other method. I think maybe I've figured out how to do them now, this is the first project I didn't have to redo something on it because I messed up. That may never happen again though. :wink_smil

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Beautiful work!!

A dresser is on my short list now...of course so is everything else.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I don't think I've ever said this to a guy before but nice drawers, Phillip!:gar-La;
I like the sliding tray idea too. Keep up the great work.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I see you solved the "dust under the furniture" problem.

I like the solid look and beautiful wood. Wouldn't turn one down. :icon_thum

jstraw

New User
John
Your design is exactly what my wife wants. She can't stand open base furniture because of the dust bunnies and dog hair. Wooden slides were the way to go for bedroom furniture. Nice work and a great design. Thanks for sharing.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Phillip way to go man. I like the cherry for sure.
Nice joints, of course we can't see the dovetails, but would like to. Guess I'll have to take your word for it.
I need to practice my dovetail jointery myself. A project like that sure should get one's confidence up.
Great project and a job well done.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Excellent work, Phil!!!!:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

I too really like the simplicity of the design and the excellent execution.

Very well done!

Wayne

Gerald

New User
Gerald
Really well done. I'm sure you and your family will treasure this piece for years to come.

Congratulations on a very successful project.

bwat

New User
Bill
Very nice work and I know satisfying to get it right the first time around - :icon_cheerssomething I may never realize. :gar-Cr

What kind of finish did you use?

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I surely enjoyed sharing this one, and making it. I just tried to upload pictures of the dovetails and keep getting errors so I'll try later. My wife was the one that really pushed the idea of the on the floor base. I like it as there's no wasted space. There's even a bottom under the lowest drawer to put things into underneath the drawer. You do have to remove the lower drawer, but it's supposed to be a hiding spot. No wasted spaces...:wink_smil

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Ok, after trying three different browsers I managed to get the photo's to work again. Don't you just love 'puters???

Here are the dovetails:

The finish is Minwax poly, a satin look, with sanding sealer underneath. Most folks cringe if you use anything other than some kind of oils, ro the like, but I like this best and I don't have to do anything else to it. It does darken ok like cherry does with this on there.

Thanks for all the compliments!!! :gar-Bi You all made my day.

M

McRabbet

Nice job on the Chest of Drawers and kudos for the well done dovetails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS