Chess Board finish??

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Edited: Went with Danish oil.

Made this over the last couple of days. Probably the fastest project to date for me.

Was going to go with mineral oil, shelac and then some satin poly.

Read an old post and for a similar piece, there was one comment against mineral oil. I also have some BLO. Walnut, white oak and padauk (I think).

Any suggestions?

20210618_194120.jpg

20210620_073922.jpg

Last edited:

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
I made mine from walnut and hard white maple. I used good ole Danish oil. It holds up great. I wasn't looking for a hard shiny surface just like Martin mentioned in his response. Nice board by the way.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
My son is an avid chess player and told me that regulation chess boards can’t have gloss finish for that reason. The first one we made we used a satin finish.

Does he play in tournaments?

Confessions of a misspent youth; I played in tournaments off and on from age 15 to about 47. My last one was in 2002. My rating has hovered around 2000 USCF. I'm kind of stuck in No Man's Land. I'm no fun at all to play for the casual player but not strong enough to play professionally. Now that I'm retired I might get back into it with minimal aspirations.

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Does he play in tournaments?

Confessions of a misspent youth; I played in tournaments off and on from age 15 to about 47. My last one was in 2002. My rating has hovered around 2000 USCF. I'm kind of stuck in No Man's Land. I'm no fun at all to play for the casual player but not strong enough to play professionally. Now that I'm retired I might get back into it with minimal aspirations.
Yes, he’s playing this weekend in a tournament down in Charlotte. That’s only his 2nd one. He’s around 1820 but that may be low. We will find out after today. 1-1-1 so far.

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Hi David,
I showed my son the picture of your chess board and he really liked it. We made one similar with bloodwood as the border (no additional border though). He shared with me that the dark colored square should be in the bottom left. So, you're going to need you to move those walnut sides to the other edges. HA! It's still a beautiful board...

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Hi David,
I showed my son the picture of your chess board and he really liked it. We made one similar with bloodwood as the border (no additional border though). He shared with me that the dark colored square should be in the bottom left. So, you're going to need you to move those walnut sides to the other edges. HA! It's still a beautiful board...
Ha, too late, already delivered to my brother. But when he played a few games with the nephews, he put the captured pieces on the walnut sides as intended, but had the sides as a top/bottom. Was wondering why he did it that way. Lol. Not sure if it was intentional or not.

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Ha, too late, already delivered to my brother. But when he played a few games with the nephews, he put the captured pieces on the walnut sides as intended, but had the sides as a top/bottom. Was wondering why he did it that way. Lol. Not sure if it was intentional or not.
I’m sure he was happy with the board!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS