Cherry stain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
My kitchen is natural cherry that has done its typical darkening with sun and age. I have a couple of other items I want to stain to match it. One is oak the other is made from that Asian wood that looks like maple. Minwax "Cherry Wood" doesn't match, not quite red enough. Other than messing around with alcohol/water dyes, does anyone have a good stain that will simulate cherry on a variety of woods?

Thanks.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Alan, I am not sure how it would work but how about adding some Trans Tint to the Cherry Wood stain to make it more red? I am not that familiar with too many stain colors but I believe Lowe's now sells small foil sample packs of stain. You might want to see if they offer you any more options.

D L

b4man

New User
Barbara
If you have a specialty paint store in or around your area you might take a sample of what you are trying to match and ask them to create a color for you. I know Lowe's and HD also offer this but I've found that the paint stores usually have better trained staff.

Barbara

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Alan, I've had good results with the cherry gel stain sold by Lowes. I think it is Olympic brand. I have three pieces of furniture that I made 6-8 years ago they are cherry with a wipe on oil-varnish and have darkened quite a lot. This winter loml wanted two bedside tables to match. I used the gel stain and polyurathane. The match is great. I think I only used one coat of stain, it's been my experience that if you use too much it becomes "muddy".

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Alan I have also used some of General Finishes gel stains with good results. You may not need to use a gel stain on the oak since it is not as prone to splotching, but I would definitely use it on the maple type wood.

J

jeff...

Cherry Brown would be a mixture of Burnt Umber and Burnt Sienna toner glaze. I have a quart of each, if you like I could send you some sample sizes in small jars.

If you really insist on staining your wood. You could mix these two colors together in what ever finish you going to apply as a toner coat to blend with your existing kitchen. Assuming you would be using a spray gun to apply your finsh. Or you could mix up your own stain with minerial spirits and wipe it on, although not what I would do, I don't stain wood. I would make up some spray toner to blend the color with the existing.

Let me know if you would like me to send you some sample sizes, I can provide tech support over the phone too.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
b4man said:
If you have a specialty paint store in or around your area you might take a sample of what you are trying to match and ask them to create a color for you. I know Lowe's and HD also offer this but I've found that the paint stores usually have better trained staff.

Barbara

So is this a bad time to mention that my wife works in the paint dept. at HD? :rolf:
I'm just kidding Barbara - I've run into my fair share of "undertrained" HD/Lowes employees. Not to mention my wife's stories of what she's seen and heard of other employees doing.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Chris, I'm so sorry. I will learn to target the stores I shop in and not all as a whole.

Barbara

J

jeff...

Well I have no problem saying; Lowes in Henderson blows chunks and I avoid it like the plague.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Barbara,
No problem - I thought it was funny and with the exception of my wife, I agree with you! That's assuming that you can find someone to help you at the big box stores! Most of the time you need to send out a search party complete with bloodhounds to even find assistance! :rolf:

DavidF

New User
David
chris99z71 said:
Barbara,
No problem - I thought it was funny and with the exception of my wife, I agree with you! That's assuming that you can find someone to help you at the big box stores! Most of the time you need to send out a search party complete with bloodhounds to even find assistance! :rolf:

The other side of the coin is trying to get rid of them again! Normally I want to be just shown were the stuff is, not have them help me choose! I tend to do a bit of "real time" design standing in front of the products and having some employee trying to "help" is a pain; I know they mean well, but is there a polite way of telling them to Pi$$% off?:BangHead:

J

jeff...

I agree with you - just tell me where the stuff is I'm looking for. You know point me in the right direction I can bird dog the rest. I've actually given this a lot of thought. if when you walked in the store, if they had a few computers where you could type in say "sand paper" and it would tell you which isle it's on.

Example: at Lowes in Henderson they have sand paper in two differnt places, paint department and tools. I have to ask myself WHY? it' the same stuff in both places whats's up with that? Just put sand paper in one frinking place for crying outloud. :BangHead: I'm sure some 6 figure salary decided that sand paper should be in two places.

As for customer service, you have to actually have service before you can have customer service. I mean duh...

I better stop now, getting off topic, but I sure hope Lowes is listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS