Cherry Question

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm not wondering if I got a good price, just wondering if this was 'clear' lumber.

I can't find a definition of 'clear' lumber. I suppose it would be 'clear' if it didn't have the sappy streaks but that's different than lumber grading definitions like FAS or Select. It's not a grading defect so you can define 'clear' as you wish. Maybe you should go where you bought it and hand select a few more boards that are 'clear' to you.

BTW, where is Crabtree Valley, NC? Raleigh?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Pitch pockets
That's the term I've always heard.
I've also heard that the pitch pockets occur more in some subspecies of cherry than others. My experiences are consistent with this. I've had cherry that was dark, conspicuous medullary rays, contrasting figure, and frequent pitch pockets. It was defined as "locally grown", whatever that means. Other commercial grade FAS cherry I've used could be described as bland with little or no figure.

Also, I've heard that there's less likelihood of these pitch pockets being in cherry grown in more northern climates like Pennsylvania.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
You did good Anthony. You got nice cherry, the same that we all buy. You'll love working with it. It smells good when you cut it and it machines nicely. It will leave burn marks easily if your feed rate is too slow so a little practice is in store for you. Good luck and enjoy it.

Red

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That's the term I've always heard.
I've also heard that the pitch pockets occur more in some subspecies of cherry than others. My experiences are consistent with this. I've had cherry that was dark, conspicuous medullary rays, contrasting figure, and frequent pitch pockets. It was defined as "locally grown", whatever that means. Other commercial grade FAS cherry I've used could be described as bland with little or no figure.

Also, I've heard that there's less likelihood of these pitch pockets being in cherry grown in more northern climates like Pennsylvania.

Interesting. Where did you "hear" this? I'm just curious about it.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Interesting. Where did you "hear" this? I'm just curious about it.

I started woodworking in the early 1970s. By the mid 70s, I'd moved into working at commercial millwork shops where the various grades would have a significant impact on the bottom line. Northern grown cherry from commercial sources like McEwen were what was used. The wood was bought by the unit, delivered, and unloaded with a fork lift. The internet wasn't around in those days so buyers had to rely on the lumber salesman's word. It is through these salesmen's stories and experiences that I learned the most about variations of wood. This was back before the internet when a man's word meant something. By the 1980s I'd had plenty of experiences with the "Grandaddy's Barn" sources of wood and most of those experiences weren't what I'd wished they'd been. As a young man, I'd asked the salesmen why their lumber looks one way and yet other lumber I'd seen of the same species looked so radically different. These guys knew their products and they knew the science. It was clearly not in their best interest to deceive a customer to make a sale.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I started woodworking in the early 1970s. By the mid 70s, I'd moved into working at commercial millwork shops where the various grades would have a significant impact on the bottom line. Northern grown cherry from commercial sources like McEwen were what was used. The wood was bought by the unit, delivered, and unloaded with a fork lift. The internet wasn't around in those days so buyers had to rely on the lumber salesman's word. It is through these salesmen's stories and experiences that I learned the most about variations of wood. This was back before the internet when a man's word meant something. By the 1980s I'd had plenty of experiences with the "Grandaddy's Barn" sources of wood and most of those experiences weren't what I'd wished they'd been. As a young man, I'd asked the salesmen why their lumber looks one way and yet other lumber I'd seen of the same species looked so radically different. These guys knew their products and they knew the science. It was clearly not in their best interest to deceive a customer to make a sale.

Ok. Thanks for the information.

agrieco

anthony
Corporate Member
Clear coat of waterborne poly satin
Thank you. Looks very nice- Differn
I can't find a definition of 'clear' lumber. I suppose it would be 'clear' if it didn't have the sappy streaks but that's different than lumber grading definitions like FAS or Select. It's not a grading defect so you can define 'clear' as you wish. Maybe you should go where you bought it and hand select a few more boards that are 'clear' to you.

BTW, where is Crabtree Valley, NC? Raleigh?

Jeff- the word 'clear' is referenced a bunch in Woodworkers Source: The Basics of Hardwood Lumber Grades [custom wws] and while I don't see a definition for it, I'm inferring it to be "defect free". If "pitch pockets" aren't a defect- then the wood is 'clear'! Case closed! ;-)

Crabtree Valley, NC- yea- I'm in Raleigh, right along Crabtree Valley. I wonder how this got populated in my profile...I certainly didn't do it.

agrieco

anthony
Corporate Member
You did good Anthony. You got nice cherry, the same that we all buy. You'll love working with it. It smells good when you cut it and it machines nicely. It will leave burn marks easily if your feed rate is too slow so a little practice is in store for you. Good luck and enjoy it.

Red
So far so good! The burn comment is spot on. Will be speeding things up a bit!

djvanduy

New User
Jason
Looks pretty consistent with cherry, particularly northern cherry, and the board looks nice. If you got several that are all similar to that then I wouldn't be disappointed. The pitch marks are common to cherry. I have attached a pic of some local cherry burl and you see the pitch pockets more often there as the grain growth is a bit more wonky. Good luck with your project.

JVD
www.vanduynwoodwork.com

Attachments

• #356 - Sculpture for Sale - Ultra Gloss Voided Cherry Burl Hollow.jpg
    #356 - Sculpture for Sale - Ultra Gloss Voided Cherry Burl Hollow.jpg
    788.9 KB · Views: 172

agrieco

anthony
Corporate Member
You seem annoyed with the discussion.

I thought ;-) was the universal, "not annoyed" symbol? :) Not annoyed- just trying to indicate I had my questions answered.

I do appreciate all the feedback- I'm still learning and for a weekend warrior, these discussions are invaluable.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I thought ;-) was the universal, "not annoyed" symbol? :) Not annoyed- just trying to indicate I had my questions answered.

I don't know anything about that internet symbol language and it meaning "not annoyed". It's good that your questions were answered satisfactorily. You're learning so keep enjoying the discussions. Ask more questions.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
In Timber we refer to this a sap to ring check. Heart check is in the middle. All are defects in the wood when the tree is growing. THe causes a many. But basically, the tree ring get a small split or separation from the wood in a small place in the tree. The sap pools there. Then the tree is cut down, milled and that is the result. It can happen to certain trees when felling them. Like others stated with cherry not that uncommon. I do not know the east coast lumber grading system, but on the west coast too much of this would take clear "A" or #1 rated lumber to Clear #2 or "B".

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
They are called called gum streaks (often called pitch streaks). As far as I know, it does not factor into the grading.

That said, I don't like it personally, but if forced to I will. If I were buying it, for the same price, I would get clear lumber.

BKHam

Bradley
User
Thanks for the finish "formula". Do you have any pictures of a finished product using this workflow?

the boiled linseed or tung oil component works really nice with Cherry. if you put oil like that on a whiter wood, say maple, it really yellows. but with the red tones of cherry, it adds a richness that is nice. you can integrate that step into any formula, including the ones mentioned here.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors