Cherry Finishing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I am making a set of cherry kitchen cabinets that are being stained a dark chestnut type color. Since I plan to spray cat. lacquer on top, I am using a Sherwin Williams Sher-wood BAC wiping stain. I sealed all the panels with a 1 lb. cut shellac before staining to avoid blotches, and then sanded with 220 grit before staining. However, I seem to be getting some blotching anyway that disturbs the look of the grain showing through. Stain was left in place for 4 minutes and then wiped off with a dry cloth. I tried mineral spirits and can of course lighten the panel, but I have not been able to smooth out the apparent blotches. Should I not have resanded ?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Others may have much better advice on working with Cherry, but I would avoid using any stain and let it age naturally. But that really doesn't help with your current situation. Sorry for that.

When working with Cherry, I apply an oil based Varnish Oil finish and let nature take its time to naturally age and mature the finish. Cherry is one of those woods that naturally gain a great patina as the sun ages the color from pink to deep reds and browns. Trying to mimic this with stain and hurry the process is not something I'd recommend, but I have my own strong opinions and others may differ, and that is very fair.

I don't mean to sound critical, but re-reading my response makes me seem like I am somewhat. I guess I'm just saying the way I would do things, and that is totally a personal preference so take it for what it is worth.

Good luck with your project and please post some pictures of the end result.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
And I don't have any answers either, but I will follow this thread, as I have a very similar project coming up.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I guess what I was trying to say is that cherry is not a wood that takes stain well as you've discovered. I would let it be what it is and age naturally. To be what it wants to be. It is a great wood to work with and really turns into a prefect looking wood on its own over time.

It also can be forced into whatever you want it to be and that is totally up to your preferences.

Cherry takes time to age perfectly and I love the way it does it, but if time is not on your side then other options, such as stain are appropriate.

I guess I'm prejudiced about how a like my Cherry to be finished. Sorry - just a personal opinion.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
The only times I will stain cherry is when a piece of furniture is undergoing restoration and having to repair or replace damaged parts. With any species of wood that doesn't take stain well and I have no choice but to stain it, I use Charles Neil's blotch control. Hands down the best anti-blotch product I've ever used and have been using it for years.

JohnW

New User
John
I wouldn't recommend staining cherry. It blotches much like pine, and while there are thing you can do to minimize it, I've never seen blotching eliminated, even with dyes.

I've used and finished lots of cherry. After finish sanding, I apply a coat of amber shellac as a base coat, then apply a clear top coat. I typically use a water based acrylic satin finish as my top coat on cabinets. After just a few years, cherry will get fairly dark. After +5 years it becomes rich and scrumptious. Sunlight speeds up darkening. If you set your cabs out in the sun for even one day, turning regularly, they will become noticeably darker. This can be done anytime after finish sanding.

Here are pics of some cherry cabs. they are about 2.5 years old in these pics. They are much darker and richer looking now at about 5 years old.

Cherry Wine Frig.jpg
Cherry Cabs_Stove-Island.jpg
Cherry Cabs_Sink-Frig.jpg

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
May I make several comments.
Firstly next time you need to stain cherry, try dye preferably lightly sprayed on.
Next you may accelerate the aging of the cherry and that will help the blotching go away. Either set up in the sun for a day or two or use a black light (UV) which will significantly darken cherry overnight.
Third, you could apply a glaze after you seal-in the stain you already applied
Hope this helps

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
I'm not an expert in any sense regarding wood staining. However, does the use of gel stain reduce the blotching issue better than other types of stains? My experience is that gel stain goes on and looks better than the thinner ones. I don't know if that would work better on cherry but maybe someone else on this forum would have more experience with it.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Phil, I will try the black light. Thanks for the tip. To stain or not to stain was not an option. The kitchen has to be a dark color that is darker than decade old cherry. I will also try some dyes: I just hate the mixing to color match!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm not an expert in any sense regarding wood staining. However, does the use of gel stain reduce the blotching issue better than other types of stains? My experience is that gel stain goes on and looks better than the thinner ones. I don't know if that would work better on cherry but maybe someone else on this forum would have more experience with it.

Gel stains work fairly well to reduce blotching but they aren't 100% foolproof by themselves. A shellac washcoat (1lb cut, Zinnser Seal Coat) before a gel stain hedges your bet but that combination isn't 100% foolproof either.

Several sections of the same board, prepped to the same level, may still show different degrees of blotchiness next to one another so even the best aren't 100% foolproof.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I've experienced the same problem Mark, when building a Grandfather Clock. I was sorry later for using the stain instead of allowing the wood to darken naturally. The experience will make you a far better wood finisher. The wood did darken naturally on my clock, and the spotting effect became far less noticeable. 99.9% of the folks viewing your work will never notice, but as the builder, you, and mostly only you will ever notice the blotchiness.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Cherry is notorious for blotching and uneven colorations. I have no suggestions for you, I've always thought the blotching was there to stay.

Its a little late now, but the only solution I know if Charles Niel's blotch control, or use an oil and leave it natural.

I've seen Charles spray cherry with a dye mixture to even out the color. If you subscribe on his website you will have access to the finishing videos (worth the price of admission!!)

I suggest you post a topic over on Lumberjocks in the finishing forum. Charles frequently will answer questions there.

PhilS has good suggestions except it is risky putting any wood out in the sun you can end up with a disaster if you the wood warps.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
Cherry is notorious for blotching and uneven colorations. I have no suggestions for you, I've always thought the blotching was there to stay.

Its a little late now, but the only solution I know if Charles Niel's blotch control, or use an oil and leave it natural.

I've seen Charles spray cherry with a dye mixture to even out the color. If you subscribe on his website you will have access to the finishing videos (worth the price of admission!!)

I suggest you post a topic over on Lumberjocks in the finishing forum. Charles frequently will answer questions there.

PhilS has good suggestions except it is risky putting any wood out in the sun you can end up with a disaster if you the wood warps.

↑This↑

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Cherry is such a great wood to work with, it's a shame it is so particularly challenging to finish. I love working with it and like to leave it to do what it will in the long term. This might not be appropriate to your project. I've just been antique shopping and found some really old Cherry pieces that I really like the way they're aged. This is something you can't replicate with stain/dye/finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors