Cherry Color(s)

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I'm making a little end table out of Cherry. I've never used Cherry before but from what I can see, it may come is multiple shades. I'm finding pieces with sap wood that are distinctly dark and light on the same board. Also finding various shades from mild red to light pink. Looking for helpful information on what to look for and/or how to deal with it.

Here's a pick to show what I'm talking about. (These are just some scraps I have for trinkets, I do not plan to use these). Headed out tomorrow to see if I can find some more consistent boards.
1681161734928.jpeg

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Cherry does seem to come in a fairly broad color range. That said, I am sure you are already aware that it will darken over time, especially if exposed to direct sunlight.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
If you want consistent color in your table, make as much of the table as you can from boards out of the same tree. If that's not possible, then make the major assemblies each from the same rough board, especially the top. Over time, boards from different trees can darken differently - even if they look similar now.

Or..color the wood (heresy I know).

-Mark

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Put the lighter boards out in the sun a few days to get them closer to the dark board if you want them to match. You definitely need to prevent/limit blotching. I spray multiple light coats of thin (~.5lb cut) shellac then apply color on top of it

JimD

Jim
Senior User
There are also dark near black pitch marks on some boards. For something like a table top I try to select boards with similar color and grain. But it is still easily possible to see each board. Maybe not along the whole length, however. The only real way to get consistent color is to stain or dye the wood. I do not do that with cherry, I prefer to see the boards. In the great room I am in right now I have a coffee table with a top made of only one piece of wood. It was 8/4 and I split it to get more 3/4 boards for the top. The boards all look similar but still you can see each board. If you just want them to look similar, get a big board and cut it up to make the top and as many other parts as possible. If you want to eliminate the variation and make them look like one bigger board, you need to stain or dye the wood.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the helpful comments. Armed with this newfound knowledge I set off to find some good cherry. I went to the Hardwood Store today thinking they would probably have the best selection. I don’t have anything to compare them to but was pleasantly surprised and happy with what I found.

I totally agree with comments about not changing the natural wood color if possible. It looks like I’ll be able to do that as still keep the whole thing fairly consistent. I don’t mind inconsistent colors for some projects, but this one I wanted to keep close…and still be able to do it with natural color. Kind of like my naturally gray beard! 😂

Now I just need to convert this lumber into an end table.

Attachments

• 81FF7D2F-7E40-4A54-8CE5-A780350128AE.jpeg
    81FF7D2F-7E40-4A54-8CE5-A780350128AE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66

gamiller3rd

Pappy
Senior User
Thanks for all the helpful comments. Armed with this newfound knowledge I set off to find some good cherry. I went to the Hardwood Store today thinking they would probably have the best selection. I don’t have anything to compare them to but was pleasantly surprised and happy with what I found.

I totally agree with comments about not changing the natural wood color if possible. It looks like I’ll be able to do that as still keep the whole thing fairly consistent. I don’t mind inconsistent colors for some projects, but this one I wanted to keep close…and still be able to do it with natural color. Kind of like my naturally gray beard! 😂

Now I just need to convert this lumber into an end table.
You found some nice boards, post pictures of the final product.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Here’s the completed project. Before and after finish with Tung Oil. I’m happy with the results, but more importantly, the wife is happy. Now we can store a laptop and iPads under the top so I can set my beer on the top!

Attachments

• 37ACAF82-32E7-46A3-A97A-113B308AFB7A.jpeg
    37ACAF82-32E7-46A3-A97A-113B308AFB7A.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 56
  • D61F01B6-C5EF-473C-9504-FB68B5DF7479.jpeg
    D61F01B6-C5EF-473C-9504-FB68B5DF7479.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 59
  • 0D246A4E-2EC8-479D-84E7-C71370F46A10.jpeg
    0D246A4E-2EC8-479D-84E7-C71370F46A10.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
  • 6623D085-9846-41BA-967D-5B11F9F913DD.jpeg
    6623D085-9846-41BA-967D-5B11F9F913DD.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 56

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Here’s the completed project. Before and after finish with Tung Oil. I’m happy with the results, but more importantly, the wife is happy. Now we can store a laptop and iPads under the top so I can set my beer on the top!
Well done - that looks beautiful. Color and grain matching look great and the piece fits the space nicely!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS