Cherry chest

gsalls

New User
Gerrid
Just finished this cherry chest. I'm quite pleased with it. I'm not thrilled with the lid supports but they're the best solution I could come up with for this design. Anybody have any suggestions for a product that would be more appropriate. Mounting options are somewhat non-standard. At about 42 inches wide, this top is quite heavy.

Attachments

• IMG_1813.JPG
    IMG_1813.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 282
  • IMG_1817.JPG
    IMG_1817.JPG
    910.2 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_1818.JPG
    IMG_1818.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 283

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done. I like the curved top and the box joints on the corners. Can you tell us more about how you made the curved top? I can't tell much about the construction from the pictures.

Where did you get the lid supports?

gsalls

New User
Gerrid
Nicely done. I like the curved top and the box joints on the corners. Can you tell us more about how you made the curved top? I can't tell much about the construction from the pictures.

Where did you get the lid supports?
Thanks, pictures aren't great. The joinery is actually dovetails. The top is just 1 1/2" staves ripped with a slight bevel and joined together and then smoothed out with a spokeshave. I determined the bevel by making a full scale drawing first. Its screwed down in the center and nailed off around the perimeter, and a gap is left on the sides to allow for any potential movement. All is concealed with the 1/4" "frame," which is simply glued to the carcass, not to the lid. The stiles were steamed for bending on my grill lol. I'm sure there's an easer/better way but that's what I came up with and it should stand the test of time.

Those lid supports are from rockler and I've used them before. I do like them but don't love them for this project.

gsalls

New User
Gerrid

T
Thanks, I've tried similar struts before, with disastrous results. Undecipherable instructions and unconventional attachment requirements led to sides that were riddled with misplaced screwholes and lots of cursing. I'm sure I'll revisit them again in the future as I think they are probably the best solution for something this heavy.

gsalls

New User
Gerrid
Beautiful work!!!

I have been using torsion hinges from Rockler....
Lid-Stay Torsion Hinge Lid Support, Rustic Bronze for most all toy boxes and chests for my grand children. They are by no means inexpensive but they do really work to save wee fingers and slamming lids!

Wayne
Thanks, I looked at those but I wanted the hinges to be morticed in the body so the lid sits flat. I guess there's no reason why those hinges couldn't be morticed, even though there not designed to be. I'll have to try them out at some point.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow. Just wow.

I second Wayne's recommendation on the torsion hinges. You'll need to mortise them (or there will be a gap between the lid and the frame), but it's an easier install otherwise.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Really beautiful work Gerrid! The lines on the piece are great.

Wayne et al... I'm interested by those torsion hinges, is the idea that you get ones that are just slightly too weak to hold the lid up themselves, so that it can close, but it makes opening and closing it feel a lot lighter?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Really beautiful work Gerrid! The lines on the piece are great.

Wayne et al... I'm interested by those torsion hinges, is the idea that you get ones that are just slightly too weak to hold the lid up themselves, so that it can close, but it makes opening and closing it feel a lot lighter?
My intention was to actually to go slightly stiffer than the Rockler calculator indicated. (I preferred to have the lid stay up when partially opened and less risk of slamming down.)

Wayne

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS