Cherry chest

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Rockler is supposed to have a "torsion hinge calculator" on their website but I can't find it.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
My compliments on your craftsmanship.

I think cherry is the most beautiful wood. I a year or two its going to look even better.

gsalls

New User
Gerrid
My compliments on your craftsmanship.

I think cherry is the most beautiful wood. I a year or two its going to look even better.
Thanks, I agree. If I had to choose one wood to work with, it would definitely be cherry.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
At about 42 inches wide, this top is quite heavy.

Do you have any idea of its weight? 42" long and X" deep? You need that weight in order to use the Rockler Torsion Hinge calculator to choose how many hinges you would have needed if you were going to use them. I'm just curious.

Last edited:

BKHam

Bradley
User
really great looking chest. great looking board choices.

i saw you replied to someone asking about the joinery of the top. you cut the staves for coopering, got that. you said screwed in the middle and nailed on the edge. it looks like there is a curved piece that works kind of like a breadboard. the staves are in a groove to that side piece? or just screwed and nailed. how did you hide those?

gsalls

New User
Gerrid
Do you have any idea of its weight? 42" long and X" deep? You need that weight in order to use the Rockler Torsion Hinge calculator to choose how many hinges you would have needed if you were going to use them. I'm just curious.

It's about 20" deep and I'm guessing weighs about 25 pounds. The balance supports that are on work well keeping the lid open until about 50 degrees, but then closes quite hard.

gsalls

New User
Gerrid
really great looking chest. great looking board choices.

i saw you replied to someone asking about the joinery of the top. you cut the staves for coopering, got that. you said screwed in the middle and nailed on the edge. it looks like there is a curved piece that works kind of like a breadboard. the staves are in a groove to that side piece? or just screwed and nailed. how did you hide those?
I can see that my written explanation is a little confusing. There are no grooves, but nailing cleats attached on the inside of the carcass, offset the thickness of the coopered lid - about 5/8 in this case. The lid then sits flush with the top of the sides of the carcass and is fastened to the cleats around its perimeter. Also I left a gap between the sides of the lid and the carcass to allow for any movement. Theoretically the nails should bend enough should they need to, or at least so I've been told. Seems to hold true based on historical pieces. The gap and nails are concealed by pieces of 1/4" stock that is shaped and glued to the carcass only, again to allow the lid to move freely should it need to. I hope this is a little clearer.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It's about 20" deep and I'm guessing weighs about 25 pounds. The balance supports that are on work well keeping the lid open until about 50 degrees, but then closes quite hard.

Where did you get those support hinges? Maybe a notch or two larger from the manufacturer would prevent the lid from slamming shut over that last 40 degrees. ??????

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Super nicer, do they even still have "hope chests"? or are they just called "the non gender identity chest? - :p

gsalls

New User
Gerrid
Where did you get those support hinges? Maybe a notch or two larger from the manufacturer would prevent the lid from slamming shut over that last 40 degrees. ??????

They are balance supports from rockler, which are available in two support sizes. These are the larger ones. I like them, they work well and are easy to install. Also I like that they aren't too obtrusive and ugly. I do wish they offered a little more support on the bottom half but it's not a deal breaker for me in this application. I'll probably give torsion hinges a go on the next one and see how they work.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'll probably give torsion hinges a go on the next one and see how they work.

I'm certainly not advocating for using Rockler torsion hinges and I like the look of the less visible hinges that you used. I'm surprised that Rockler doesn't have a "Torsion Calculator" for those hinges or some sort of guidance on how to select the correct size for the dimensions and weight of the lid. You used the largest size available but they work a little bit.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS