Cherry chest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
This chest took waaaaaay too long to complete.

How long? The carrier USS Ronald Reagan was designed, built, and put into service in less time. Honest!

Chest was built piece meal, in seven different locations, in two states, without benefit of a dedicated shop.

Poly over oil, all cherry, except for the pine floor.

From now on, I'm sticking to building fruit crates I think........:cool:

DSCF0339.jpg

DSCF0330.jpg

The center of the diamond is a piece of cherry 2" square with a small knot/imperfection in the center. I picked that particular piece after a lot of thought.

See, anybody with a few tools could duplicate this chest easily, its just straight lines.
However, nobody, even with every tool imaginable, could duplicate that knot.

DSCF0337.jpg

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Mostly biscuits.
The panels that form the four sides sit in dados in the corner posts, glued only on the bottom to allow movement. The carcass is all biscuits, the tops of the posts are "bound" by 1/2x2 cherry strips, fastened with brass screws, they are what the top actually sits upon.
Neglected to take a pic with the top-up, that was foolish. Chest is in Wilmington now.....

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, love the warmth of the cherry, and nice selection on the hinges! I also like the inclusion of the knot, that definitely makes it unique.

See, anybody with a few tools could duplicate this chest easily, its just straight lines.
Ha! To quote DaveO - if I had your tools and expertise, I could do it myself!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Super job there, Tom!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

That diamond and the accompanying knot makes this one One of A Kind.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Your design would sure make a nice toy chest ....just thinking out loud again!:eusa_thin

Thanks for sharing the great photos.

Wayne

navy1990

New User
Matt
Beautiful chest. I hope to someday make something like that for each of my 2 daughters. The diamond pattern is amazing and the knot makes it truly a one-of-a-kind.

dlrion

New User
Dan
Wow! That is so beautiful. The knot makes that chest the only one like it in the entire world.

GREAT JOB

I was planning on making a cedar chest, but I am reconsidering now, I REALLY like the cherry.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors