Cherry Burl Processing

Status
Not open for further replies.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
A friend of mine had a cherry tree cut down in her yard and gave me the burl that was growing on it. It's a little larger than a soccer ball, probably about the size of a large medicine ball. I've turned burl before but never started from scratch. Any advice on how to process it? I think the goal would be to get some bowl blanks out of it, but I don't have a coring system (nor the funds to buy one at the moment).

IMG_22695.JPG

IMG_22704.JPG

gritz

New User
Robert
It's hard to tell, but it looks like the growth is pretty equal around the trunk. I would just cut it down the middle and rough out two bowls. (Follow normal green bowl curing processes.)
By the time you get the pith out of the blanks the remaining halves probably won't be big enough to spend a lot of time and effort. From what I'm seeing, you would be pretty lucky if you can get one 8" bowl and one 6" bowl.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Thanks Robert. You are correct, the trunk goes right through the middle of the burl. I think your advice is the way to go. I might cut it up this weekend (if I can get my chainsaw started), I'll post some pics of what the inside reveals.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
After I got my chainsaw up and running (had to do a carb clean and fuel line replacement) I ended up getting two bowl blanks, and then cut up the excess for some pen blanks. The two bowl blanks are 6.5" and 7.5" across.

Thanks for the advice Robert. Going to rough turn the bowls soon and let them dry. Excited to see how they turn out.

IMG_23562.JPG

IMG_23552.JPG

IMG_23543.JPG

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
After I got my chainsaw up and running (had to do a carb clean and fuel line replacement) I ended up getting two bowl blanks, and then cut up the excess for some pen blanks. The two bowl blanks are 6.5" and 7.5" across.

Thanks for the advice Robert. Going to rough turn the bowls soon and let them dry. Excited to see how they turn out.

IMG_23562.JPG

IMG_23552.JPG

IMG_23543.JPG
James,
Don't forget to seal those pen blanks - anchor seal or wax or what ever so thy don't split crack and twist...

The bowl blanks too, but I think you want to turn them before you do something to let them dry slowly. (put them in a bag with shavings etc.)

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Yes! Thank you for the reminder. I have some anchor seal sitting on the shelf. Slipped my mind when I cut them up.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes! Thank you for the reminder. I have some anchor seal sitting on the shelf. Slipped my mind when I cut them up.
A neighbor cut down a cherry tree - most of it went to the dump - but I saved a piece and it had so much stress in it it cracked apart anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS