Check this out

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yea, I saw that also. Very cool, I like how he ran the current for the light through the aluminum layer in the lamination.

Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Cool, but not practical. It has exposed conductors carrying the voltage from his transformer to the LED lights. I wouldn't want to grab a hold of it or accidentaly cross those AL strips with a paper clip.

It would have been better if those Al layers were totally enclosed in wood instead of exposed.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Guess that means we will have to find a way to make it right...if its on the future project list. There are endless options for getting power to those LED's.:lol:

DavidF

New User
David
Nice concept, but I agree with WG, making one or two laminations just the outside pieces, leaving a slot in the centre through which standard wire could be passed would work fine. I would have put the light in the very end behind a clear cover, rather than 6 inches back where he has it. Having said that, a fine piece of work that shows thinking out side the norm - like it.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
If you like the combination look you could still laminate the aluminum and run seperate internally isolated conductors.

Exposed low voltage conductors are commonplace in lighting today and are considered safe. It is possible to get a little bit of a jolt from it but the low voltage, low current aspect prevents any harm. It wouldn't approach the levels seen with a horse fence. Unfortunately with this design you are naturally going to grab both conductors when adjusting the lamp.

DavidF

New User
David
SteveD, I agree safety is not an issue, but shorting them out by pushing the lamp against something or similar may be possible. I think most modern lamps have the conductors further apart reducing the likelyhood of a short.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I can't speak for LEDs but when I was a lighting rep I've seen the manufacturers of the cable lighting systems hold both conductors and also reach accross and bridge both conductors without a shock and / or damage to an MR16 halogen lamp. Those systems are driven off of a 12V class 2 transformer.

DavidF

New User
David
Unless of course the transformer and regulator had s/c protection and then the light would go out during the short and no harm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors