Charlotte Woodworking Show

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
WARNING: The U.S. Government has determined that scroll sawing can be addictive and cause lifelong need for serious sawdust infusion. The Government of California has determined that scroll sawing can cause cancer, as does breathing air, drinking water in any form, and sleeping.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
BTW, Bruce (sawman101) is also an accomplished Scroller even it he wasn't demo'ing in our booth there this year.

Thanks Ken, you're too kind. I am hoping to one day do some more scroll sawing, after I manage to get the diabolical phenolic project put to bed, by the end of this millennium, or the next. I only wanted to make a nice clock I saw, for my daughter's wedding gift a long time ago. When I finished that challenge, I had swallowed the hook and bait, and could not turn back. Happy sawdusting!

SteveJohnson

New User
Steve
WARNING: The U.S. Government has determined that scroll sawing can be addictive and cause lifelong need for serious sawdust infusion. The Government of California has determined that scroll sawing can cause cancer, as does breathing air, drinking water in any form, and sleeping.
SawMan, you're a hoot

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Scott, how do you get a small blank for compound cutting without cutting your fingers off?!?!!

Make yourself a clamp for holding your piece. Take 2 equally sized pieces of wood, ie 1/2 or 3/4" by 3/4" to 1 1/4" high and 6" or more long. Drill a 1/4" hole through both pieces, making sure the holes are spaced appropriately in line with each other, then using 2 4" to 6" long carriage bolts, washers and wing nuts, your clamp will hold your small part for compound cutting. Neighbor once gave me some leather upholstery material, which I glued to the clamping surfaces, to compensate for the saw kerf, and hold the piece equally. You don't want any interior movement while cutting or the piece may not come out right. I often will use a #5 blade, skip tooth blade for compound cutting.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott, how do you get a small blank for compound cutting without cutting your fingers off?!?!!
I think you are referring to the blocks of wood I start with. I cut them to width on a table saw. A push stick is a must. Length wise I prefer to cut them on my miter saw.

SteveJohnson

New User
Steve
Make yourself a clamp for holding your piece. Take 2 equally sized pieces of wood, ie 1/2 or 3/4" by 3/4" to 1 1/4" high and 6" or more long. Drill a 1/4" hole through both pieces, making sure the holes are spaced appropriately in line with each other, then using 2 4" to 6" long carriage bolts, washers and wing nuts, your clamp will hold your small part for compound cutting. Neighbor once gave me some leather upholstery material, which I glued to the clamping surfaces, to compensate for the saw kerf, and hold the piece equally. You don't want any interior movement while cutting or the piece may not come out right. I often will use a #5 blade, skip tooth blade for compound cutting.
Thanks SawMan, I'll make one! Speaking of blades, what do you use for a 2 inch cube?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS