Charlotte Area Members We Want Your Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTCook

New User
Nick
Hank (Hmerkle) and I had a small private message conversation about doing what we can to drum up some activity for those of us in the Greater Charlotte area. I suggested a bi-monthly or quarterly meetup, rotating between members' shops and he agreed that it might be worth a shot to get going. Would anyone be interested in something like this?

Things to do would include everything from random shop discussions, project assistance, mini workshops, tool swapping, lumber swaps, etc.

For example, maybe you normally make small boxes but have decided to tackle a large table for your dining room. You could bring your legs to a meetup and use someone's mortiser to make your job a little easier. Don't own a lathe but need a couple of knobs turned? Bring your materials and knock them out on the host's lathe.

Give us your input. Would you come? What would you like to see/do? How often? How far are you willing to travel?

I would also suggest nothing happens until at least September/early October. Past experience in clubs/groups such as this have taught me that almost no one shows up to small meetings/get together type events in the peak summer months. Weekends in that part of the year are usually reserved for family/friend events. I could be wrong though...

Let's get this ball rolling and see if anything comes of it.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm in. I've traveled as far as Raleigh to participate so anything closer to home is good too!

JohnW

New User
John
Well, I was waiting until I retire to get more active in something like this. Work just takes up too much time.

However, since I officially retire TODAY. I'm in.

We've done a few shop visits in the Charlotte area years ago. Would be good to get this off the ground.

Last edited:

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I would be in depending on when and where. At this time I am building a new house and workshop so this year/early next year may not work but there is always after that. Anything in the Charlotte area should work fine.

Red

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
All great ideas. I'm always jealous of all the meetups in the Raleigh area that I can't get to. Anything in Greater Charlotte area is good with me. My big limitations is that i'm usually busy during weekdays/weeknights, so weekends would be preferable. I suggest starting with once a quarter and re-evaluate if there's enough interest.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, I was waiting until I retire to get more active in something like this. Work just takes up too much time.

However, since I officially retire TODAY. I'm in.

We've done a few shop visits in the Charlotte area years ago. Would be good to get this off the ground.

Congrats on your retirement.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
I also would be interested in group get togethers. Charlotte is an easy trip for me and gives me an excuse to get out of the house. By the way, congratulations John W on your retirement. I pulled that move about three years ago and it was the best move I every made. Wish I had done it years ago.

Rob Liles

MikeH

New User
Mike
I'm in! Had a couple NCWW friends that had nice shops and spent quality time there, but one moved to FL and one sold everything to spend time with the family and save for a house. I would welcome meetups close to home.

bwat

New User
Bill
Always interested but work always gets in the way. Keep me in the distribution and I'll try to participate. Thanks.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
we used to meet up some. i stay busy with the kiddos these days don't even make it to charlotte woodworkers monthly meetings. they are are on scout night.

i'll keep an eye out, would like to make it to something if the stars align

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I'm in, but I doubt that my shop is. It's too small for me and one other at the same time, let alone a dozen at the same time, but I'll gladly participate and go to other's shops or possibly a once a month lunch meeting like other areas are doing. I go to the Winston-Salem lunches when I can, but one closer would be easier to get to.

Charley

NTCook

New User
Nick
Ok, so obviously we can make this happen with a decent turnout.

Just throwing these dates out based on what I've suggested and what I just read... How would September 23, 30 or October 7th work for a first gathering?

Who is willing to host? I'd gladly do it but I just need to know if people are willing to drive out to my place in the sticks outside of Rock Hill. However, if we can start off with someone who's located a little more centrally it might benefit getting this off the ground with a good size group showing up.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
During a meeting, I can do a short demo on incorporating inlays and inlay bandings in woodworking projects if there is an interest.

JohnW

New User
John
I'd be willing to host. Live in SE Charlotte very close to Matthews and a few miles off I-485. Also like Matt's offer to demo inlay work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS