Chair

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thinking about a set of these. Any advise would be appreciated. Never made chairs before.
0197C69E-3F78-410C-9F10-0FDE993BF01D.jpeg

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I share your 'never made a chair before' inexperience Mike; so my comments have to be taken in that context.

1. That looks like a flat (horizontal) seat - I'd read a bit to see if the recommendation is for a slightly angled back seat; 2-3 deg is what I recall reading - bit I am not certain about that. With the sculpting in the seat, it may even 'lean' forward, which I believe is disconcerting to sit on.
2. As you know, leg joinery choices are critical - those front legs, connected at only one spot, are especially vulnerable/critical. While it takes away from the simplicity of the design, and makes fabrication more difficult, lower chair rungs dramatically improve the strength of the system.

I too plan to make chairs someday! I will follow your adventure here.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Good luck, seriously. When I die there will be at least two things I have never done, ride a motorcycle and attempt to make a chair.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
To me sculpting the seat seams the hardest. Wood love to learn to do that

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The perspective makes it hard to see how anything is connected.

Roy G
I think the design is intended to make it hard to see how anything is connected.

I made a two wheel cart for a restaurant in 1980 or so. My boss tried to have it copied while I was away on vacation.
The finest woodworker I have ever known was asked to make the one joint I invented (because I didn't know any proper joints).

He could not imagine how it was done without showing a seam anywhere. He did a nice alternative and charged $500 for the work. We are still fiends and I still haven't shown him how I made that joint.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS