Chair Repair

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've got Titebond 3 and no experience with hide glue. Still, what is/Are recommendations for glue to get this chair back together? I'm still fitting the new stile I turned. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Use hide glue instead of Titebond. Hide glue can be undone but Titebond is there forever and permanent. No dissassembly.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Jeff.
Anybody use Titebond hide glue? Recommended or not?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Never used Titebond hide glue. I use Old Brown glue. Most liquid hide glues have a shelf life of about 18 months but that can be extended somewhat by refrigerating the glue.

I don't know if that also applies to hot hide glue prepared in a glue pot from the granules.

Last edited:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

Here's a chair I have built in the past. All of the joints are glued up with hot hide glue. The liquid hide is good stuff and certainly better than using Titebond 3 or epoxy. From the photo above I see you turned a spindle to join the seat to the crest rail.

To do the repair correctly you need to remove the crest rail and put the long spindle in the existing hole. Check for depth and size. If you want to cheat it back in and not remove the crest rail you can use any glue cause it won't matter. The spindle can be "worried" in by bending it a little and seating it in the hole.

Not to be insulting, this is a factory built chair with a thin seat made of hardwood and the one spindle is just there for the looks. If you found other spindles that are loose. Do the whole thing.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
if you don't have a regular use for hide glue, don't go there. Titebond 1 works fine. I have restored literally hundreds of pieces with it. If you absolutely must get it apart just inject the joint with warm water in a syringe, let it sit for 10 minutes, use a heat gun to warm the area (not burn it), and then whack it with a leather mallet. It is very common in the restoration community. I don't use Titebond III for anything other than outdoor work.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not to be insulting, this is a factory built chair with a thin seat made of hardwood and the one spindle is just there for the looks. If you found other spindles that are loose. Do the whole thing.

Not insulting at all. This is a chair from my son's dining set. He probably got it for little or nothing as a basic starter set, 2nd, 3rd or more hand. The grand children are pretty hard on things like this so they go to surplus, 2nd hand (etc.) and side of the road finds. They just asked me to patch this one up.

OBTW, the whole crest and spindles are loose. I set it in place to check the length of the lower end of the spindle I turned. Need to check the overall length today and decide on glue Also need to do something with the chunk missing out of the seat.

Last edited:

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not insulting at all. This is a chair from my son's dining set. He probably got it for little or nothing as a basic starter set, 2nd, 3rd or more hand. The grand children are pretty hard on things like this so they go to surplus, 2nd hand (etc.) and side of the road finds. They just asked me to patch this one up.

OBTW, the whole crest and spindles are loose. I set it in place to check the length of the lower end of the spindle I turned. Need to check the overall length today and decide on joinery. Also need to do something with the chunk missing out of the seat.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Between coats of lacquer on 7 bowls, I've been digging old glue out of the spindle sockets today. When the sun wasn't shining directly on the seat, the glue wasn't pleasant. When the sun was shining directly directly on it, the glue was a gummy mess.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
So there are 2 spindles and the current one (on the left) has the chunk missing?

Not savvy on chair lingo. there are two diagonal spindles. One is being replaced and one has a chunk missing out of the seat.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Not savvy on chair lingo. there are two diagonal spindles. One is being replaced and one has a chunk missing out of the seat.

OK, I understand. Dan will know what those two spindles are called. He builds Windsor chairs very similar to that one. Sticky glue in the sunlight sounds like hide glue.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors