chair leg tips/pads

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I have hardwood floors in my dining room. I put felt stick on pads on the bottom of the chair legs to minimize the damage to the floor. The pads refused to stay in place. So,I cleaned off the adhesive and sanded the leg tips. The pads still came loose. I have tried the nail on nylon pads.....bad idea for wood floors. I tried putting felt pads on top of those nylon pads. They don't stay put either.
How can I protect my maple floors from sliding chairs?

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
There are screw-on rubber pads, as well as nail-on felt pads, on the Home Depot website,

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
You may just want to try a stronger adhesive. Probably need something like epoxy for nylon if the floor is rough. Otherwise even titebond will work on the felt pads. Might want to clean the leg tips with denatured alcohol or naptha before gluing.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Hi Matt. I may try those nail on felts pads. I don't think the rubber ones would let a chair slide very well. Mark I did clean the legs , with goof-off. Then I sanded them. I have tried titebond. It won't stick to the adhesive on the new felt pads.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Let us know what you find actually works. I have to replace the pads very often for the same reason. I tried contact cement: that did not work either.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I've come to the point of realizing that there is no good long term solution, as I have to check all of my chairs after every use. My dining room floor is less than2 years old, so I absolutely don't want marks in it, but keeping wax on the floor has helped keep the pads on the chairs longer. I'm back to the stick-on pads after trying many possibilities.

You want hard or rubber pads for carpeted floors, soft felt pads for hardwood floors.

If you find a better way after trying the wax on your floor, please let us know.

Charley

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I have also tried all the adhesive pads for chairs, all with no luck. I finally found these on Amazon, and they work amazingly well. Granted, they are a little unsightly, but after a day or two, they appear unnoticeable.

1674318347904.jpeg

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
If you are going to use wax I would suggest using only a paste wax. I believe if you use anything liquid you will end up regretting it.

This is why we do not use wax.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use the stick on pads and they work OK but require maintenance, they eventually seem to come off. I think I'll try some of those that slide over than Dan posted - thanks Dan.

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
Leather pads using old brown glue will do what you need. They also help when you have a floor that is not level by doubling up the leather on a leg or two. I cut them out with a gasket punch.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
When the nail on pads wear a little the nail sticks out and scratches the floor. This is the voice of experience talking.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Some really good suggestions here. I can believe that the Scotch brand adhesive pads would hold better than the Chinese store brand stuff I have been using. The leather option is interesting. I may try that later. I'm going to get some of the slip on silicon pads Dancam liked.
Waxing the floors repeatedly isn't appealing to me.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks for the suggestion Dancam. Received ours today and they are a perfect fit .

(I did make the mistake and ordered the large size and found the socks way too big. Reordered the small and they are a perfect match to our chairs.)

Thanks Again

Wayne

B4B806F2-593E-4DC2-93EF-AB2C19ACDEC1.jpeg

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
I would’ve thought the felt padded leg levelers would hold up best & look best but I’ve not tried them on chairs. $16 for 24 on Amazon …just swap out as they become visibly worn.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I received the Amazon silicon socks today. They fit great. I didn't read the fine print when I ordered though. I got cork tipped pads instead of felt.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS