Chainsaw sharpening: how do you like to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
We're doing a lot of chainsaw work at the new house. My method for sharpebing the chainsaw has been a husqvarna guide including round file. I have a proxxon rotary and saw that there is a chainsaw bit and guide set for rotary tools.
I am aware of several other methods.
What is your preferred method for sharpening chainsaws?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I sharpen by hand with the chain on the saw. I use the same guide with a wood handle.
Every third or fourth sharpening I will gauge the teeth and file them all the same length.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I take them to a chain sharpening guy for a few bucks apiece. It's probably a bit more aggressive than the hand file method but the chains are expendable and not very pricey so they may be replaced every 2-4 years.

I keep 4 chains on hand in addition to the one on the saw. A quick change out and keep on cutting. :wink_smil

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
We have a Oregon bench mount chain sharpener here on the farm, once I started using it, I hardly use hand sharpeners anymore. I think you can get one for about $150, but I bet Harbor Freight will have one way cheaper.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
We're doing a lot of chainsaw work at the new house. My method for sharpebing the chainsaw has been a husqvarna guide including round file. I have a proxxon rotary and saw that there is a chainsaw bit and guide set for rotary tools.
I am aware of several other methods.
What is your preferred method for sharpening chainsaws?
Theres people for that!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
If I'm at the shop, I clamp the bar in my vise. Sharpen each tooth the EXACT same number of strokes with the file. Keep the drags filed down. If you get it uneven, she'll tend to "lead" to one side. Just my 2cw!

:notworthy:

cpw

New User
Charles
I sharpen by hand with the chain on the saw. I use the same guide with a wood handle.
Every third or fourth sharpening I will gauge the teeth and file them all the same length.

This has been my method previously, but I am going to give a 2 in 1 sharpener a try. I've seen several YouTube videos where guys had tried them out and really liked them because you're filing the cutter and the depth gauge at the same time. I just got mine in the mail yesterday but it will probably be a while before I get a chance to try it out. Bigger fish and all.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
How do I like to do it?

I don't like to do it at all but it's a necessity. I do it by hand with just a standard guide and gauge.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I file by hand on the saw like Mike. I use a round file that has a metal visual guide on top. It shows you the angle to file at but does not guide the file that is up to you. Takes longer to change out the chain than to sharpen it. I haven't had to use my chain saw in a long time but I have a few trees that need cutting when I get time.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
This has been my method previously, but I am going to give a 2 in 1 sharpener a try. I've seen several YouTube videos where guys had tried them out and really liked them because you're filing the cutter and the depth gauge at the same time. I just got mine in the mail yesterday but it will probably be a while before I get a chance to try it out. Bigger fish and all.
I missed that file type. Not very expensive but appears to offer some advantages over the more simple guide and file.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
Takes longer to change out the chain than to sharpen it.

Jeebus, what kind of chain saw do you have? I have 5 and with any of them I can change the bar, the chain, fill it with fuel, and smoke a cigarette in the time in takes to sharpen one of the chains.

cpw

New User
Charles
[video=youtube;aXmK9fMJv6Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXmK9fMJv6Q[/video]

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member

Listen to the wisdom of a Master. :)

I do exactly the same thing, takes no more than 10 minutes to do that and adjust the chain tension. Two strokes with the file per tooth does it. I do it every time before the saw goes back into its case, ready for the next man adventure. :icon_thum

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS