Cement Floor Treatment

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
I wouldn't worry about the slope as long as it is flat. Building case goods you use a square on your assembly table, not a level. Every tool is square to the table, not the floor. In the off chance you need to check level, you can use an inclinometer such as a wixley and zero it out on your bench/tool. I did level out my first shop by laying out progressive stringers - PITA- 3 shops later never bothered with it and no issues. Did install a dricore clone and highly recommend it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would remove the garage door, replace with well insulated 4 foot wide wood door.
No garage door = no code requirement for slope.
Pour concrete 3-4 inches thick and level/smooth. That will stop the water coming in when it rains.
Use barn stall mats over that and carpet tape the seams.

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
Standing on concrete is murder on your joints and back. I did the epoxy thing when I had a garage shop, and it's a lot of prep, and does nothing to cushion for your knees and back.

In my next shop I had a bunch of the mats made up of 2'x2' squares made more for playrooms. The rubber isn't very dense and if you have tools on casters they tend to hang up and move your mats around.

If I was going to have another wood shop on a concrete floor I would cover the entire floor in compressed rubber mats like we have in our gym at work. If you get the right kind they're dense enough that you can put heavy equipment on them, and move it around, but they still provide cushion to protect your joints when you're standing/walking on them. The horse stall mats are a good option, but it depends on how much square footage you have to cover.

This guy gathered a lot of info on gym flooring options and he just updated it. The Best Home Gym Flooring for 2021

Last edited:

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Our engineers first coated the manufacturing facility with epoxy. Adter 20 years of forklift traffic, it started to chip and flake. They have since hired a contractor that sanded the floors to a a high grit. They are slick if wet but nothing seems to penetrate them.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
When buying stall mats, Tractor Supply puts them on sale several times during the year, when you can get the 4 x 6 ones for about $35.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
3/4 ply over PT 2x4 sleepers with 1.5 rigid foam inlay - movable 52" TS, BS and jointer were no problem on an unfinished floor

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS