Cedar vs. Cypress vs. Mahogany

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjscottinnc

New User
Mike
I'm building some Adirondack chairs. I built the sample out of Cedar and got a lot of tear out where I drilled the screw holes close to the edge, I’m also concerned about strength long term. It looks and feels great though. I’m considering Cypress or Mahogany. I’ve worked with Mahogany before so I know what to expect, but I have never worked with Cypress. Based on published characteristics it seems to be similar to poplar. Can someone who has worked with Cypress give me an opinion on how it is to work with?

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Well it smells like oatmeal when you cut it. :)
It is very easy to work with. Tear out is rarely a problem, but it is a little soft so don't over tighten screws or you will be replacing them with the next size up (DAMHIKT). Holds up pretty well.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Cypress works easy and makes a nice chair that holds up to the weather fine. Mahogany would make a nice looking chair also. In the past I've also used white oak and they were beautiful but heavy. Good for a windy location. No finish on any adirondack chair I've made.

Red

TBradley190

New User
Tim
I've not used mahogany, but I have used cedar and a lot of cypress. Cypress is as soft as cedar but old growth is alot more stable and tear out is less than cedar but it smells like swamp water to me, and it weathers beautiful and will be around forever. Here's a garden bench that I made from cypress tree we cut down at White Lake.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I have destroyed several thousand board feet of beautiful cypress lumber building rockers, swings, Adirondack's, gliders, etc. It is definitely my wood of choice for outdoor furniture.:icon_thum See pics in my gallery.

Good luck with your project. :wsmile:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I've not used mahogany, but I have used cedar and a lot of cypress. Cypress is as soft as cedar but old growth is alot more stable and tear out is less than cedar but it smells like swamp water to me,
I'm not sure, but you may have just insulted my oatmeal makin' skilz... :rotflm:

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I too have used cedar and white oak for these chairs.
White Oak is great but heavy. Cedar is good too, love the colors, however, colors will fade to silvery gray unless kept out of sunlight. No problems with strenght with Cedar.
My next set is to be made out of cypress. I have also thought of making them out of Pressure treated Lumber.
I bet I have made over 20 of one type of these chairs.
The oldest one is well over 11 years old and is still holding strong.
Be sure to use waterproof glue, and pay attention to the points of contact with the ground, and they will last a long time.
HTH

MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS