Cedar or pine 4x4's

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Any one know a good place to get dry untreated pine or plain cedar 4x4's in the Raleigh/Apex area? Capital City is the only place I know of.

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited:

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Last time that I talked to Jack Murdock (saw4you) he said that he had some cedar.
I'm sure that he would be glad to saw you some..

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I followed a Stock Lumber truck this morning that was loaded with a deck. I was shocked to see 4x4 cedar posts. Might want to check with them.

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Called Stock and they don't stock the wood I need so it looks like its going to Capital Lumber.

Jeff

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jeff, ERC air dries almost immediately - are you sure that you can't use fresh-cut or sawmill wood?

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Thanks SCSmith but I need it dry now and 4x4's will take a while. Capital has 4x4x8 SYP for $11.00 which will work for me. Most of their stuff is stored under cover which makes it stable and dry. I might take you up on some latter for some cedar chest I'm building.

Jeff

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jeff, thanks for the response. Re the sawmill cedar, I was going to refer you to Jack up in Rolesville or Charles Holland in New Hill.

Glad that you found some dry pine!

Scott

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You also might call Tarheel Wood Treating. They are a PT place, but they do it on site so they have the lumber before it is treated. It should be air-dried. Also you could consider getting re-dried treated stock or KDAT. Brooks Building Supplies is a great source for that.
Dave:)

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Thanks SCSmith but I need it dry now and 4x4's will take a while. Capital has 4x4x8 SYP for $11.00 which will work for me. Most of their stuff is stored under cover which makes it stable and dry. I might take you up on some latter for some cedar chest I'm building.

Jeff

Alright, Jeff, you've gotta tell us! What are you making?

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I got a commission to do custom Realtor signs. Pretty cool Doesn't ned to be treated since not in the ground that long but needs to be nice and reasonably light. Cedar is too expensive so pine it is. Cyprus in another choice.

Jeff

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think that you might spend more time(money) finding cheaper non-treated pine 4 x 4s than you will save. And with the way the real estate market has been recently those signs might stay up longer than planned. I would go with easy to get PT 4 x 4s, and if you want to make them extra nice get them KDAT.

J

jeff...

I think that you might spend more time(money) finding cheaper non-treated pine 4 x 4s than you will save. And with the way the real estate market has been recently those signs might stay up longer than planned. I would go with easy to get PT 4 x 4s, and if you want to make them extra nice get them KDAT.

Dave does have a good point on going with pith ridden BORG PT 4x4's.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave does have a good point on going with pith ridden BORG PT 4x4's.

Come on now, they come from the heart of the tree, where the good stuff is ;-) I am always amazed at how small of a tree "they " can make into a 4 x 4 . I have seen bark wane on all four corners of one before..not too far from round :roll:

J

jeff...

Come on now, they come from the heart of the tree, where the good stuff is ;-) I am always amazed at how small of a tree "they " can make into a 4 x 4 . I have seen bark wane on all four corners of one before..not too far from round :roll:

Yeah I know amazing ain't it? I actually had a guy bring me a bunch of 6 ~ 8 diameter logs to cut 4x4's out of. Between you and me I think he had been :new_all_c a little to much. I wonder if he ever found anyone to cut those 4x4 for him?

jeeves

New User
dwight
Jeff a few years ago I pick up some 4x4 Fir at the Lowes contractors store in Raleigh, I can not remenber where it was located. maybe someone will knows on the site. Dwight

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Thanks for the input. I've tried the PT way but try getting a BORG PT 4x4 to stay straight. I also don't like machining PT lumber in my shop since it contaminates everything. I found some great SYP 4x4's at Capital lumber for $10.90 that were milled square and straight. I also picked up some Zebra wood that was sitting around for $13/bdft and gorgeous.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors