casters for Jet 1642?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Now that I am relocated to a much more confined garage, did I mention DW is getting a convertible that has to be garaged:mad:,
wondering who has what on their lathe or what you would recommend ??
3/8ths stem on feet now, don't turn heavy blanks, but would like them to be locking.
Thanks, Ed

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I would seriously consider something along these lines rather than traditional caster wheels as they include a weight bearing foot that makes solid contact with the floor when lowered and are less likely to move or swivel at an inopportune time:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-machine-leveling-caster-plate-mounted-4-pack

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 199

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 to Ethan's suggestion. Another plus on those is that you can also use them to level the lathe after you move it to where you are going to use it.

Tom Queen

New User
Tom
When I was in my smaller work shop it was suggested to me to not put my lathe on casters. I believe you will regret having your lathe on casters and turning would become more of a hassle with shakes and your work being Iglesias all over. Can you find another spot that your lathe can be permanently stationed. Also consider putting up some pic pipe around the lathe to hang a couple shower curtains to keep the dust down and shavings down in the around the lathe if you have room. Better yet find some place else for the wife's convertible. :gar-Bi

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The specs verify that those casters/feet are heavy duty (supports 600 lbs each). Good find Ethan.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I got one of these for my Powermatic. Not sure if it would work for the Jet - probably not.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/110/4697/Lift-Lock-and-Roll-Lathe-Mobility-System

It's pricey but works really well to allow me to move it around the shop by myself when I need to.

This is what I use for my 1642 and it works great. Easy rolling or fully on its original footing. If you follow Ken’s link you’ll see a drop down menu to select the 1642. Installs fast also. Price is the only negative to me.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I have a 1642 as has my son-in-law and we just put run of the mill (whatever was on sale) casters on our machines and they work great. They are the locking type and so we can lock all 4 casters. We also built cabinets that fill the space below the lathe bed and have the drawers filled with turning tools. turning blocks, sharpening hardware, etc. , that adds quite a bit of weight. I have turned 42" long balusters 4" diameter with out any problems. Son-in-law had turned bowls the full diameter (16") of the lathe with out problems.

Hope this helps.

David Turner
North Raleigh

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I use this type of casters on my jointer/ planer. Very stable. I think it would work well for a lathe. Obviously these casters are not as easy to use as a mobile base, since you have to get down on the floor to adjust the feet to make them roll. But it's a good trade-off between mobility and stability.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
One factor to consider is your height relative to the 1642 lathe working height. The casters will raise the working height. For me, at 5’9” adding casters to the height of the 1642 lathe would be uncomfortable. You may be taller or not perceive it as a problem.

Tom Queen

New User
Tom
When I was in my smaller work shop it was suggested to me to not put my lathe on casters. I believe you will regret having your lathe on casters and turning would become more of a hassle with shakes and your work being Iglesias all over. Can you find another spot that your lathe can be permanently stationed. Also consider putting up some pic pipe around the lathe to hang a couple shower curtains to keep the dust down and shavings down in the around the lathe if you have room. Better yet find some place else for the wife's convertible. :gar-Bi

I should do more research before I speak. I like those casters and maybe consider for myself at a later time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS