Case Dovetails on Long Piece

BKHam

Bradley
User
i'm making a dresser that is going to be part of a modern child's bed. the piece will be 75 inches long (to match the length of the single mattress), 18 inches wide and about 18 inches tall.

in short, a big rectangle.

i would typically put the tails on the sides and pins on the top / bottom. for the the vertical dividers, i am going to use solid wood panels with sliding dovetails. so they can go in after the outside case is glued up.

if i put the tails on the side, i would do beefier than usual pins because it would be supporting a 75 inch span. are beefy pins enough? or should i put the tails on the top and bottom?
bed.PNG

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Bradley, it looks like you have some intermediate supports in the dresser. That would shorten your span considerably. Also, wood in shear is pretty strong so the pins, if you beef them up somewhat should be adequate for the load, unless your child is excessively rambunctious .

Roy G

BKHam

Bradley
User
i thought about maybe switching to doweled dividers so that would make putting the tails on the top necessary since i would have drop the top down. the sliding dovetails can kind of annoying.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Looks like you answered your own question. As for design, I hope this is going to be centered in a room as if it's against a wall it'll be impossible to change the sheets;)

BKHam

Bradley
User
Looks like you answered your own question. As for design, I hope this is going to be centered in a room as if it's against a wall it'll be impossible to change the sheets;)

yes it has some room placement challenges. nice thing is that with the dresser right beside the mattress, really no need for a night stand. so we have left a walkway on the mattress side. however, this is for a 3 year old so i'm sure it may get placed in some illogical spots.

the bed part is done.
bed pic.png

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Why do you need/want dovetails at all for this piece? There are 2 vertical pieces supporting the top and dividing the cabinet into 3 sections over the 75" length.

"if i put the tails on the side, i would do beefier than usual pins because it would be supporting a 75 inch span. are beefy pins enough? or should i put the tails on the top and bottom? "

There are less complicated ways to join the case sides to the top and bottom without using dovetails.

BKHam

Bradley
User
Why do you need/want dovetails at all for this piece? There are 2 vertical pieces supporting the top and dividing the cabinet into 3 sections over the 75" length.

"if i put the tails on the side, i would do beefier than usual pins because it would be supporting a 75 inch span. are beefy pins enough? or should i put the tails on the top and bottom? "

There are less complicated ways to join the case sides to the top and bottom without using dovetails.

while true there are less complicated ways to do most tasks, your question gets at the deeper qeustion....why be a woodworker at all? i can just go to pottery barn and buy it.

i'm interested in making the best possible product and i'm willing to take on a challenge.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I had the same concerns about my tool chest. I wanted nice dovetails but also great strength.

This was my solution.

C77D2739-BA8C-4048-B5B9-1AA24361C93E.jpeg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
"while true there are less complicated ways to do most tasks, your question gets at the deeper qeustion....why be a woodworker at all? i can just go to pottery barn and buy it.

i'm interested in making the best possible product and i'm willing to take on a challenge."

That's fine so carry on.

You are still a woodworker even if you make the piece less complicated with less complicated joinery. Your choice.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS