Carving Projects for Outreach Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
I have found these two projects online and thought they might be appropriate for the Outreach Program:

The first is an owl. The first time I carved it took me less than an hour, which is my threshold for one of these projects. It is 3" tall. Preparing the blank for carving is about 15 minutes.

The second is a pair of pliers. I like this one, because it is a novelty. Even when most people see one, they can't believe that it is carved from one piece of wood with no glue or metal. This one is also 3" long and takes about 20-30 minutes to carve. It takes about 30 minutes to prepare the blank.

In both cases, I plan to prepare the blanks in advance with written instructions as to how to prepare the blank.

I would like to hear your thoughts on these two projects.

Steve H.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    745.3 KB · Views: 148

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve, I like them both. The pliers seem to be a great starter project. What tools would we need to add and do you want to teach this during the next class in Jan/

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Phil,

Both projects can be finished with a carving knife; however, the feathers on the owl are much easier with a 3mm "U" shaped gouge. I will bring the following items with me in Jan.

3 Carving knives
1 3mm "U" shaped gouge
Enough Blanks of both Projects for all Participants

I also have blanks prepared for a wooden chain, but the chain takes about an hour per link. This project would be more appropriate for someone who wants to finish it on their own.

Before purchasing any knives for the trailer, let's see how the first one goes and see if anyone is interested. Andy (Carved Tones) had suggested earlier that we purchase the knife blanks and make our own handles. If this is successful, then I would agree with Andy's suggestion.

Steve H.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Steve, I think those will be great projects for the Warriors. But I want to check one thing first. Are these the kind of projects you carve by holding the work piece in one hand and the knife in the other? If so, we'll need to make sure we pay particular attention to safety. We don't want a Warrior to go home w/ stitches. :nah:

Bill

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve, I think those will be great projects for the Warriors. But I want to check one thing first. Are these the kind of projects you carve by holding the work piece in one hand and the knife in the other? If so, we'll need to make sure we pay particular attention to safety. We don't want a Warrior to go home w/ stitches. :nah:

Bill

We should have three pairs of the cut resistant gloves that should help - at least they will soak up the blood so it does not get all over the wood. Merry Christmas

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
We should have three pairs of the cut resistant gloves that should help - at least they will soak up the blood so it does not get all over the wood. Merry Christmas

Thanks Phil. Are you saying we already have the gloves, or we should get some?

Merry Christmas!

Bill

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I am a beginning carver(or at least I play with it some) so I triedthe owl this morning and I have found it to be quite enjoyable.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
probably 45 min or so and I sanded for a while to clean up a bit. here is a pic again I dont do this a lot it just looked like fun to try did this on a stick of basswood I was using to learn to carve wood spirits once upon a time.
IMG_02961.JPG

View image in gallery

Last edited:

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Mark,

Good job. You confirm that it can be carved in less than an hour and I presume you did not have any instructions.

Thanks
Steve

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
All I had was your Ideal. This was really a fun little thing I think it is easy enought for the beginners but not so simple that you see it as a kids project. Thanks again for this posting I hope all goes well with the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS