Carriage Garage Door

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Alrighty, I am going replace my traditional slide up garage door with a different style that opens out in the same was a double closet door does. Below is a site from a NC company who produces these doors at a fairly reasonable cost and you save money on shipping by picking them up. It is the carriage door style in the link below. Doing this will give me more room in my garage shop space by completely freeing up the ceiling and upper walls for storage/cabinets/shelves/etc.

These have to be install as a double exterior door so I will have to find a contractor to do that. The entire old slide up garage door will be removed completely and the new one will open much easier. The hardware sold with these door is solid and designed in a way that it cannot be taken apart to take the door off the hinges. Yeah, it will be a few bucks for just the door system plus installation but the price seems to be the only negative involved.

Just sharing this idea and concept with everyone in case others had been thinking about how much better their garage door would be if they didn't take up that ceiling space. I do not have a hard time table on when I will be doing this but I will share photos when I do get the new carriage style garage door installed.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Why not build your own? I built these when I lived in Charlotte. Not that hard a project.

Attachments

• Garage Door.jpg
    Garage Door.jpg
    813.4 KB · Views: 128

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Casey, the door is great. Old and shows some age, but the more I use it, the more I like it. One of the future tasks is to add sealing around the perimeter and across the horizontal seam. But if the DC goes outside and I don't return air from the DC to inside I might need the leaky door (see post "Dust Collector Room Size Question").

Didn't mean to hijack this thread. Please forgive.

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Dee-Yeah there kits you can buy I think these guys still sell them. You do not have to buy it but seeing how they put it together makes it easier fro you to copy. Bifold doors check them out.

Carriage doors are really really easy to make...and fun. Mostly because they are so big it is easier to assemble.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Built these a few years ago from 5/4 cypress. The hinges are made from old cultivator shanks (local machine shop). They are extremely heavy due to 2 board thickness. Altogether there are 6 doors. These doors are the primary reason I bought a tracksaw. Look at some of the angles!

1624624233060.jpeg
1624624265568.jpeg

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Why not build your own? I built these when I lived in Charlotte. Not that hard a project.

Because I literally do not have the space to build anything this big. It would be a large undertaking, a type project I have never done before and something I do not want to screw up as it would be an expensive failure. Seriously though, I do not have the space to build large door like this and wouldn't know here to even begin.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS