Carbide tools ??

Fishbucket

Joe
Senior User
I’m getting more into turning and looking for a decent set of carbide tools.
What are you all using and what would you buy next?
Have any dos and donts?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Klingspor has the Easy Wood Tools, I have used them in our Outreach program.

They are very easy to use for rough turning and some say they are good for finish turning.

Since they work more like scrapers you will not get a highly polished finish cut like you do with a good spindle gouge or skew.

But with a little sanding they do a good job and don't require as much sharpening.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use Hunter, Sorby (with Cap'n Eddie inserts) and Easy Wood. Out of the carbides, I reach for the Hunter #5 first.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
do you have issues with changing the cutter out on the fly with only one handle ?
The set that I bought came with 3 heads, so you only have to unscrew the head when you change cutters. It takes less than a minute to swap out the heads. Hand tightening is plenty but they give you a wrench anyway.

The link that I gave may not come with the heads. It's not real clear in the Hartville description. I'm guessing it doesn't because I am pretty sure I paid a fair amount more than that.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I bought my carbides from ncwoodturningtools.com, which is ran by a NCWW member. I use a Sorby Sovereign handle with them (I have the 22" and the 12"), with the exception of the diamond tool, which I just turned my own handle for. You can also buy handles from him as well.

Carbides are great for fast, easy work. Like Mike said above, carbides scrape, and traditional gouges/skews cut. Now that I have a better sharpening setup, I use my carbides less and less since sharpening is so quick.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I bought my carbides from ncwoodturningtools.com, which is ran by a NCWW member. I use a Sorby Sovereign handle with them (I have the 22" and the 12"), with the exception of the diamond tool, which I just turned my own handle for. You can also buy handles from him as well.

I bought a set of 3 tools from them and turned my own handles. They work great and the total price was just under $100.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Best thing I have learned about carbides is this, for smaller detail work Carbides work well, a little different technique with them but they do allow to me, more finesse. But larger work the traditional turning tools are easier to use.

My 2-cents

Fishbucket

Joe
Senior User
So we ended up at the Winston-Salem Klingspours grand opening
And come out with the easy wood mini set.
They are working out marvelous. I definitely will need a larger set some time. But, for now they will work for my Striper lures and stuff.

Whipped up these the last couple days.

810D173A-3258-4F3B-BE52-5934D328B3C5.jpeg

868BA24C-95E9-401D-B8E8-E9727BE82EC9.jpeg

93D21172-2A5A-4186-91BF-CE16853C41B6.jpeg

Thanks for all your advice guys.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Here's another vote for www.ncwoodturningtools.com.
John is not just a member of NCWW, he also supports us in a big way; he has donated sets of his carbide turning tools to our raffles and door prizes at the Picnics. Not only are his tools top rate and affordable, but it's also very easy to order through his website. John also works for a living, and the tools are as yet a sideline, but as their name and fame spread, it could become a major player in the woodworking field. Support those who support us.

Last edited:

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
Here's another vote for www.ncwoodturningtoold.com.
John is not just a member of NCWW, he also supports us in a big way; he has donated sets of his carbide turning tools to our raffles and door prizes at the Picnics. Not only are his tools top rate and affordable, but it's also very easy to order through his website. John also works for a living, and the tools are as yet a sideline, but as their name and fame spread, it could become a major player in the woodworking field. Support those who support us.
Bruce, I think you meant ncwoodturningtools.com Carbide wood turning tools as in an earlier post.
Thanks
Let me know next picnic and Ill try to supply another set.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Thanks John, I missed that spelling error. I have corrected it now. Hope to come up with a little cash to get a set of the 1/2" square shaft chisels soon! Priority for the Winter months now is to rebuild a Yanmar tractor, and restore an early Economy tractor. On the crappy days I'll be in the woodshop, I hope.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS