Carbide Router Bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

macr0w

New User
macr0w
Hey guys,

How much use should you get out of a carbide router bit before it starts losing it's edge?

I have a Whiteside 60* bit that I do my edges with and it doesn't seem to be cutting very well anymore.

I have only done 2 edges on 7 drum shells with it and it is just scaring the heck out of me at this point.

Granted, the woods I have been using it on have been reasonably hard like Walnut, Maple, Sepele, Cherry and now Wenge.

And what about sharpening a carbide bit?

I bought one of those little paddles and have used it but I am not sure it's working.

How long should a $75.00 router bit last?

Can they be professionally sharpened?

Any thoughts? :confused:

macr0w

New User
macr0w
I probably put this in the wrong forum. :eusa_thin

If a Mod wants to move this to power tools that would be cool.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Call Whiteside and talk to them about it.

I called and asked for recommendation on what router bit to use for, they were very helpful.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Out of curiousity, when you used the diamond paddle which face of the carbide did you try to touch up? I ask because if you sharpened it incorrectly then you may have made matters worse rather than better. You want to dress the broad face of the carbide that extends out from the shaft (and not the outermost edge that forms the perimeter). It is also very important to always take an absolutely identical amount off of each carbide insert when sharpening a bit as they spin at extremely high RPMs and any imbalance will cause handling issues and excess wear in router's bearing as well as excess runout. That said, after only a few dozen feet of milling it seems very unlikely that your bit would benefit from touchup dressing of the carbide unless something has happened in the interim to damage the carbide as most of those woods, with the exception of Wenge, are not especially tough on edges (certainly not compared to some I have tackled, though some do exhibit higher than average wear).

Hard brittle woods like Wenge and Purpleheart (as another example) can be very challenging to work with a router as they are prone to catching the bit and shattering explosively during routing as a result of their interlocking grain if you do not tackle them by taking only very shallow bites off with each pass (I have occasionally had to limit such to as little as 1/32 to 1/16" depth per pass to avoid catching the grain and shattering the piece). Trying to take a full depth cut with such woods can be a recipe for disaster, it also sometimes helps to slow down the router a bit so that you can also feed more slowly without unwanted burning or burnishing of the wood. This will also make your router much easier to control with such woods since it is far less likely to experience kickback when shallow passes are made in difficult woods.

For a bit to be handling as badly as you say even in better behaved woods after just a few (dozen?) linear feet would tend to require that visible chunks of carbide actually be missing (use a magnifying lens) form the cutting edge, which can happen if the carbide has ever collided with another hard surface (such as metal or concrete) or been dropped as carbide is extremely hard and long wearing but also exceedingly brittle if impacted.

You do not say how experienced a router operator you are, but , n the event that you are new to the router, be very careful not to attempt climb cutting with a router bit until you truly know what to expect and how to control such as such is very unstable since the bit will attempt to self feed during climb cutting. Under normal circumstances you want to be feeding the workpiece against the bits direction of rotation rather than with that rotation to avoid the uncontrollability associated with climb cutting. It is not uncommon for newcomers to try to route a piece in the wrong direction, especially when routing freehand where the direction changes depending upon whether you are routing the exterior perimeter or along the interior of the piece.

Otherwise, one will typically get about 10-20x more linear feet of routing out of a carbide bit versus a traditional HSS bit. But it is impossible to say exactly how man feet you will get as it depends upon the quality and thickness of the carbide used, the manner in which the bits are cared for (such as protecting them from contacting other hard surfaces or bits and chipping them), the sorts of materials you route and how much silica content there is in the woods you try to route (some exotic woods can be almost like routing sand paper if they are hard with high silica content). That said, a decent quality carbide bit that is well cared for can typically mill quite a few linear feet of most hardwoods, including exotics, before it is in need of sharpening or replacement. But that same bit, if poorly cared for, may give out before the first edge is ever milled -- so a lot depends upon circumstances.

Did the bit ever route edges well? If so then it is possible it has been damaged in handling or use since then. If not, then it is possible, as with most things, for a bad bit to get through QC where only representative samples are thoroughly tested and inspected. I have never had any issues with Whiteside router bits over the years, but all manufacturers can have defects if the bit never performed properly.

That is a fair bit of ground covered, but hopefully you might find something useful buried in the above. In the meantime, be safe but do not give up as you will get it figured out if you keep at it.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Everything Ethan said ^^^^

Plus: Be sure to clean the bit. If it has a build up of pitch on it (dark brown gook) or if you are smelling it burn when cutting, it probably needs to be cleaned with pitch remover. Also, if you have a variable speed router make sure you are not running the bit too slow. Router bits are designed to remove chips at a very fast surface feet per minute rate, if the router is moving or rotating too slow, then heat builds up in the bit, which both compromises the edge and makes that pitch appear and stick to the cutter. If you are seeing darkened edges or smelling wood burning when you are routing, your feeds and speeds are probably not happy.

K

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
The posts from Ethan and Kevin are spot on with excellent advice. I would reiterate Kevin's admonition about overheating the bit. In the absence of actual edge damage, overheating of the edge is the most common cause of premature dulling. There is a tendency that many have to run the bit at high RPM, and feed very slowly in an attempt to get a very clean and smooth cut. This is incorrect. Every bit has an ideal "chip load," which is determined by the correct combination of RPM and feed rate. High quality manufacturers provide this information. One helpful thing that I have learned from using carbide bits in a CNC machine is that the bit should never be too hot to hold. It should only be warm. If it is too hot, then the feed is too slow, or the RPM too high, or both. There are charts and calculators online that you can use to determine the proper feed rate and RPM for a given chip load.

I use Whiteside bits almost exclusively. I have found them to be excellent across the range. They are durable, and leave a finished surface that is hard to beat. Whiteside will sharpen their own bits, but not bits from other manufacturers. The suggestion to call them and discuss the issues that you are having is a good one that you should take advantage of. If you do, and learn some things of interest, please report back to the group. None of us know it all.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
And what about sharpening a carbide bit?

One can only hone a carbide router bit in a home shop. Sharpening requires a commercial setup.I hone the flat side of my router bits before I put them away every time I use them.

To do this properly, you need to securely hold the bit from any movement. With firm but not excessive force, make 4-10 strokes, keeping the diamond face in full contact with the flat side of the bit. Never attempt to 'touch up' any part of the profile or rounded edge. You should quit when you feel an edge that feels like it's scraping or catching the skin on your thumb.
Give each flat side the same number of strokes.<<< Important!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
What are your drum shells like? Are they laminations or solid wood steam-bent? If they are laminated, your glue lines may be dulling the router bit.

Roy G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS