Can't plunge new toilet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
We got a new efficient toilet installed in one of our bathrooms - a Kohler k-3575. They claim it is practically clog proof. I guess they weren't counting on my kids using it. Anyway, the bottom of the bowl is more rectangular than round and a standard plunger doesn't form a seal. I have tried forcing it further into the bowl with no luck. I tried using an old piece of garden hose in as a snake and that didn't work either. It plugged once before and the clog (too much paper) was close enough to the opening to reach with tongs. Not this time, though. I would really hate to have to call a plumber out for a simple clog; there must be something simple I am not considering.

AndyET

New User
Andy
Home Depot and Lowe's both sell a small bladder (and a larger one too) that connects to a water hose. When the water hose fills the bladder, it blocks the flow of water and seals the entry to the drain pipe.

I have found that a couple of blasts of water from the waterhose will wash out the paper, toys, etc that may be trapped.

Good luck.

Andy

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Some things are hard to improve on! :nah:These new "energy efficient" toilets are one!! :wsmile:

AlexSwansboro

New User
Alex
We got a new efficient toilet installed in one of our bathrooms - a Kohler k-3575. They claim it is practically clog proof. I guess they weren't counting on my kids using it. Anyway, the bottom of the bowl is more rectangular than round and a standard plunger doesn't form a seal. I have tried forcing it further into the bowl with no luck. I tried using an old piece of garden hose in as a snake and that didn't work either. It plugged once before and the clog (too much paper) was close enough to the opening to reach with tongs. Not this time, though. I would really hate to have to call a plumber out for a simple clog; there must be something simple I am not considering.

Is the clog draining at all? My son once flushed a plastic cup and had to take the toilet off the base, heat up the end of a coat hanger and push it through the bottom of the plastic cup to get it out. This was after spending a morning with this toilet.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Pick up a toilet auger in either box store; Basically a snake in a rigid J shape, works great usually bouts 20 bucks or so. :gar-Bi

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
my mil is great for clogging toilets. :BangHead: my remedies are the following:
plunger, which is a no-go for you
snake
stand on top of a chair and poor a bucket of water (4 gal) from a height of 6' or so straight down into the toilet. Pour it steadily and somewhat quickly (but of course don't overflow the bowl. sometimes a little dish soap helps move things along as well. this should of course flush the toilet as well. it can be a bit messy depending on your aim.

Sam

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Some things are hard to improve on! :nah:These new "energy efficient" toilets are one!! :wsmile:

That and these new compact florescents, that don't put off enough light to see by.

Oh just wait till you have to replace your kitchen faucet with a new energy efficient one - I timed it 50 seconds to fill a 10 cup coffee pot. Use the sprayer and it takes 5 seconds - really stupid if you ask me.

CarvedTones

Andy
I have tried a few suggestions with limited success. I got a toilet auger and it did get "core samples" to indicate the clog is organic matter that is appropriate for disposal in a toilet. After using it, the bucket method sorta worked, but it wasn't draining really fast. So I used a large rag wrapped around a hose to block the drain and ran water through it for a while. It drains, but still not quickly. We had this toilet put in when we had a new floor laid down - they moved the old one out of the way and then put the new back instead. I suspect that there may be an issue with how it is hooked up to drain. When I used the auger, it felt like there is a something of a ledge like the holes don't meet up right.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Andy; Since this is a repeating issue and the auger cant clear it, it leads me to believe the best way in the long run is to pull it :{ use blue tape to outline the toilet before u do, once up you now have located points to measure from to check alignment to the pipe. For a new seal DO NOT USE JUST THE FLAT RING, THERE IS A WAX RING WITH A FUNNEL SHAPE COLLAR THAT GOES INTO THE PIPE, this will bypass the pipe edge if that problem exists. While the toilet is out take it outside and flush the heck out of it, snake it etc, there may very well be something caught inside that bugger.
put it up on some kind of blocks and hose that puppy heavily water should br runnin out as fast as u run it in, if knot then u have something caught inside or defective toilet

Glennbear

Glenn
Andy; Since this is a repeating issue and the auger cant clear it, it leads me to believe the best way in the long run is to pull it :{ use blue tape to outline the toilet before u do, once up you now have located points to measure from to check alignment to the pipe. For a new seal DO NOT USE JUST THE FLAT RING, THERE IS A WAX RING WITH A FUNNEL SHAPE COLLAR THAT GOES INTO THE PIPE, this will bypass the pipe edge if that problem exists. While the toilet is out take it outside and flush the heck out of it, snake it etc, there may very well be something caught inside that bugger.
put it up on some kind of blocks and hose that puppy heavily water should br runnin out as fast as u run it in, if knot then u have something caught inside or defective toilet

I concur with Jack's ideas. Many decades ago when I had little people in the house I had a similar problem and when the toilet was taken outside and garden hose flushed out popped a plastic letter A with a child's toothbrush stuck in it. Toys, kids, and toilets are a recipe for disaster :gar-La;

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
That and these new compact florescents, that don't put off enough light to see by.

Oh just wait till you have to replace your kitchen faucet with a new energy efficient one - I timed it 50 seconds to fill a 10 cup coffee pot. Use the sprayer and it takes 5 seconds - really stupid if you ask me.

Can someone tell me how taking 50 seconds to fill a 10 cup coffee pot is "energy efficient?" What a crock some of this "green" stuff is!! :nah:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Can someone tell me how taking 50 seconds to fill a 10 cup coffee pot is "energy efficient?" What a crock some of this "green" stuff is!! :nah:

I tried one of those new energy efficient shower heads too - I couldn't get the soap out of my hair. I ended up taking it back and rebuilding my old wasteful one, just so I could get clean.

CarvedTones

Andy

Unfortunately, I don't think that is an option anymore. I used an auger and the toilet itself is clear and it drains, but there is still enough of a clog at or below floor level to keep it from being able to flush anything but liquid. So Drano or whatever wouldn't get a chance to work. I am going to have a plumber come out and make sure the toilet is set up correctly.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I have always found a pull from the plunger after the push is much more effective. I have never cleared a toilet with a push. The quick pull after creating the push clears it every time for me. Instead of cramming stuff down, you pull it back up to separate the clog and it magically goes away.:gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors