Cannot download handicap lathe stand plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I have been trying to see how to build the lathe stand that is used by the outreach program but cannot seem to open the file on my macbook Pro!
This is the message I receive:
Safari can’t open the file “Handicap Lathe Stand.skp” because no available application can open it.
Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
yes thank you. I do not have a lathe as of now, but if I do get the bug and get into the turning, I was trying to find what my options were for stands and tools holders. Thanks for the help Chris

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Frank,
Sorry I cannot help you with the plans, I had even forgotten that somebody did a sketchup drawing - not sure if I have even seen it.

However even with all that lack of knowledge, I still may be of some assistance as I am the one who designed and built them. My design process was to measure the lathes we were using and roughly sketch it out on the back of an envelope. I used southern yellow pine for the uprights, feet and cross brace. The lathe was mounted to a 5/4 maple board for strength. I used a large aluminum angle as the adjustable mount for the lathe board. The adjustment is height and tilt and I used 15 degrees as the forward tilt. All of the material should be available locally except the large aluminum angle - I used a server base angle cut in half. I just happen to still have some of the server rack pieces so if you need it I can provide that.

Good luck with your build - I will help if I can

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Thank you Phil. I figured I could sneak more peeks and get some dimensions next time I am at an outreach event. I was eyeballing the stand at the Hardwood store during that outing and really liked the heft and quality of the build.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
SketchUp is a free download if you want to put it on your computer. Then you could view the lathe stand plans, as well as any other plans you might find in SketchUp 3D Warehouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS