Can you rent portable saw mills?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
While visiting my mom-in-law's cabin near banner elk this past weekend I noticed quite a few dead or dying trees that we should take down. Many of them appear to be maples (sugar), buckeyes, and a few black locust. I would love to harvest some of this lumber, but I have no easy way of transporting large logs. Is it possible to rent a portable saw mill to take up there and mill the lumber on site? Are there people that will provide the service?

Thanks,
Tim

mxracer

New User
Dan
Don't think you're going to have much luck finding a saw mill rental, but there are people who have portable mills and will come to your site to cut the lumber.

I can get you in contact with one sawyer with a big portable band mill that I know thru a friend, and can point you to some others if you want to shop a little.

Also might be able to help with getting the logs out of where they are and brining them to a mill out in Lincoln county, myself and two of my friends have circular saw mills out here. Don't know how much is there but might be able to work something out in lumber for the hauling and sawing???

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Tim
I live in spruce pine. There is a place in Newland(Rare Woods) I believe they might do it for you. Not sure but you might ask.(828) 733-9782 They are a good group of people. I buy from them sometimes. BTW next time your up give me a yell well get together. My daughter goes to college in banner elk.

Thanks
Mark

welldigger

New User
Scott
I don't think that Rare Woods has a portable sawmill,although the do have a dry kiln and large planers/shapers. There is a guy about 1 mile south of Rare Woods that has a portable mill. Last name is Dean, not sure about first name tho

Outa Square

New User
Al
I believe that Woodbutcher, a NC Woodworker Member, has a portable sawmill, He is in Union County i think.

<off topic> where is rare woods in newland? i'll be in the linvile/newland area a couple of time in the next little bit, i might need to stop by.

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
Hi Al, if you were in Hawaii I would rent you mine :)
you might think about a homemade alaska mill or if someone has a real one, aloha.

Kalai

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Tim, there are several locations where you can go to find sawyers in your area.

Woodmizer maintains a listing of all of their sawmill owners on their website.

The Forestryforum (www.forestryforum.com) also has a listing of members with sawmills around the world.

Woodweb also has a listing of millers.

Regards,

Scott

welldigger

New User
Scott
Al, Rare Woods is on Hwy 194 about a 1/2 mile south of Newland ( Take 181 to Pineola, turn left on 221 south, go about 1.5 miles take right on 194 at bottom of hill, Go about 2.5 miles Rare Woods will be on your left about a 1/4 mile passed the red light at High School Rd)

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Herrberg, a NCWW member has a portable sawmill. He lives in Hickory.You might PM him to see about the work. He does great work. I've bought lumber from him quite a few times.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Joe is a great fella but catch him before he moves back to Sweden at the end of August.

I am now into the full-time sawing gig in addition to lumber sales. Considering doing some on site work on occasion but right now covered up with local stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS