Can you ID this wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I made a pen out of a blank that came in a box of misc. blanks...all kinds of pretty wood, most of which I know by sight. This one surprised me though, is quite pretty, but I've no idea what it is. I can't seem to find any pictures online that look like it either. This is very soft, seems to be a very open grain, and is dirty brown in color. The picture might spark an idea, I would like to know if anyone has an idea about what it is. I can email larger pictures if need be. Thanks!!
DSCN4619.jpg

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I kinda agree with the sapele, however it's a lot lighter than other pieces of that I've used in similar size. I figure that at best I get a few guesses, unless someone has more of the same somewhere. I'd like to have more of it, but just one pen blank is all I got of it. The grain is very hollow, porous. Might even resemble a real tight cactus but nothing like cactus I've ever seen either.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
These wood id questions are always fun. Hmmm...

This is very soft, seems to be a very open grain,

That doesn't fit sapele with a Janka hardness of 1510, which is just above hard maple at 1450.

Mahogany may be a good bet but that's a generic term so we have to be careful.

1. Honduran mahogany, Janka hardness 800.

2. African mahogany, Khaya species, Janka hardness 845.

How about Brazilian lacewood? Janka hardness 840.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/lacewood, brazilian.htm

We may never get a positive id.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
You may be onto something there, it is very easy to get slivers from, was very soft and light, felt like nothing in my hand. I didn't see a picture online of Palm, I'll do some digging there.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Good suggestions, I found this after looking at the Koa suggestion, this one is Mango. The picture is kinda small, but it's a lot like what I have in hand.g_2.17_thumb.jpg

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Well, after a lot of looks, I betting on Koa too, I think I'll see if I can find more of it, and compare. I wish this piece had been marked in some way for sure, but was just in a box of 'goodies'. I like the look of it. The site Jeff gave is a good one for pics, THANKS!!!!:thumbs_up

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had some KOA Pen blanks that looked very much like that - a sort of Brendle color once Varnish Oil was applied. Made pen and pencil sets for my Niece and her Husband who lived in Hawaii for awhile. She even has a Brendle colored dog named Koa.

They looked very similar to the ones I also made out of African Mahogany so it really could be either. My first thought was Koa though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS