Call me an IDIOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Today, I was dadoing the sides of a couple of cabinets for the "Y". The backs will be 3/4" ply, as there is a coat hook board below. It is easier to hang coat hook board, then rest cabinet on it. These go on a block wall. I started to build my stacked dado set, but got called away for about forty five minutes. When I got back, I finished the dado set. Upon cutting the first dado, I thought the dado was making a lot of noise. A rapid hammering sound, and the set just didn't cut right. Went ahead and cut all four sides though. Upon removing the dado, I saw I had put a chipper in backwards. Stupid, stupid! Yep, I'm an idiot!:BangHead:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Look at it this way: A negative rake reduces kickback, and you got the dados cut. No harm, no foul (maybe a lotta noise, tho).
At least, that's what I told myself, as I can't say I have never done that myself:embarrassed:

Go

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I do not currently own a stack DADO set so this is one mistake that I haven't made yet but I am sure it will be coming soon! And I do think idiot is a very strong word for a WW mistake. Just consider it an opportunity to learn patience.

T

toolferone

I response to your plea, IDIOT! Okay now that I have done as you have asked :gar-Bi! Bruce, Bruce, Bruce what are we going to do with you, what would your old shop students have to say abou this?

All fun aside, how bad did the dado's look after cutting them that way?

M

McRabbet

Bruce,

I suspect you're lucky you didn't beat the teeth out of that chipper! It must be a Freud SD series to take that abuse! I must admit that I've never done that myself, but can understand that it is quite possible, particulalry with a lengthy distraction.

Since the chipper couldn't do much but beat the daylights out of the 1/8" (or perhaps 3/32") section that it should have been cutting, I suspect the only evidence other than hot teeth on the chipper might have been slightly ragged bottom cutting, right?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The actual cut wasn't bad. I have gotten worse from cheaper dado sets. Yes it was a Freud SD 208. Given the same set of circumstances, I don't think my Forrest Dado King, or SD 508 would have done any better.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Yeah, I have the SD 208 too. left a funny ridge in the middle of my dado, thought I had chipped a cutter and was upset as it was the second time I had used it. cleaned up the poor cut with my chisel

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bruce, in an effort to be more considerate of my fellow NCWWers, and not always go against the grain, I will agree with you. But only this time. :)

Of course, putting in the chipper backwards wasn't the stupid part. Nor was cutting the first dado. It was the 2nd, 3rd and 4th dado that weren't too smart. But, on the other hand, if the first one came out OK, why worry about it, right?

I have put my band saw blade in the wrong way once, as well as my planer knives, so I don't think this deserves "IDIOT" status. It's somewhere between "dude, I do that all the time" and "yeah, you may want to be careful about that in the future". Which is a far cry from "what volatile organic compounds were you using just before you did that", and not even close to "I took a wrong turn and was late for the shop crawl".

So definitely not at the "IDIOT" level, closest I can come is "I just splattered peach paint all over the shop".

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
and not even close to "I took a wrong turn and was late for the shop crawl".

Hey Bubba,

I resemble that remark :rotflm:. But get it right, I did not take a wrong, I just didn't take any turn at all:lol:.

Jimmy:)

jerrye

New User
Jerry
THat's not id10t status. A few years ago FIL & his cousin were building firewood storage out of landscape timbers. Cousin was drilling 1/4" holes for bolts with a spade bit & it took him an hour each. They stopped for lunch, then FIL tried drilling a hole. When he started the drill he then turned to Albert & asked, "Did you reverse the drill?" whereupon Albert said "It reverses?" FIL then selected the right direction & drilled the next hole in, oh, 30 seconds....:rotflm: Drilling 3 holes WITH THE DRILL IN REVERSE is id10t status!

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Jerry has hit upon the minimum indicator of IDIOT status. Sorry, Bruce, if you want to lay claim to the title, you must try a bit harder.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
IMHO - "idiot status" usually involves invoking the idiot gods by speaking the holy words: " Hey y'all, watch this! " and could even result in winning a Darwin Award if it's truly idiotic.

Don't worry junquecol, I've done worse things, and have scars to prove it. As long as the tools are okay, you've got nothing to worry about.

Touchwood

New User
Don
THat's not id10t status. A few years ago FIL & his cousin were building firewood storage out of landscape timbers. Cousin was drilling 1/4" holes for bolts with a spade bit & it took him an hour each. They stopped for lunch, then FIL tried drilling a hole. When he started the drill he then turned to Albert & asked, "Did you reverse the drill?" whereupon Albert said "It reverses?" FIL then selected the right direction & drilled the next hole in, oh, 30 seconds....:rotflm: Drilling 3 holes WITH THE DRILL IN REVERSE is id10t status!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jerry,

How did that storage thing turn out anyway.:mrgreen:

Send us a picture

Don

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Bruce,

If you are un-injured and the tools escaped major damage, then your status remains "woodworker". Just being woodworkers, this is the kind of stuff we do... too often. I think Don has a good requirements list in his post for idiot status. If you're not familiar with the Darwin Awards, go to http://www.darwinawards.com/.

As for me... there's a reason I have that tag line in my signature. :icon_scra:icon_scra:icon_scra :eusa_doh:

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS