California Air Tools 20040C

sleclerc

New User
Scott
Back in 2017 a member named Chris (redknife) posted that he was going to purchase the California Air Tools 20040C air compressor. I'm also considering this compressor and was hoping that maybe someone who owns one can tell me how it handles their HVLP spraying needs? If anyone has experience with this compressor I'd love to hear their opinion if they would purchase it again, what they like and dislike, etc. Thanks!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I do not have that exact compressor. I have the small 1 hp CAT and I use it a lot with my Spray-it guns, which are actually LVLP. My Devilbus Finishline HVLP takes about 8 CFM and the 20040C would handle that well. What you will like most about all CAT compressors is they are very quiet. If my main compressor was in the shop I would get the CAT. I installed my main unit close to my electrical panel in a storage room 100 feet from the shop, so I got a 4 cylinder Quincy - a bit load but massive amount of air

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I did purchase that compressor. I have had the best luck with Jeff Jewitt/Homestead Finishing products Qualspray LVLP gun. I have used the purple harbor freight HVLP gun with success. I have a more expensive hvlp gun (Can’t remember brand at the moment) and I had some trouble getting that dialed in. I think it needs a touch more CFM than my compressor can deliver, but also possible I could of gotten it figured out. Once I used the Qualspray LVLP it did what I needed well, so I have stuck with that. As an aside, I use the 3m PPS system which I like. I have had no troubles with the compressor.
I agree with Phil that the CAT compressor is quiet and mine is in my shop and actually in my house. If I were in a situation where noise wasn’t a concern and/or I could isolate the compressor I would go with a larger unit with higher cfm.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors