Cake stand: Advice on attaching top, base design?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
So by request I am making some cake stands, from a backyard tree that was precious to my client. I have the platters done, and have not completed the bases.

Having 'dived in' in order to get these platters to dry out (worked great), I have yet to determine how I will attach the platter to the base.

I can
- drive a single screw in through the middle (and plug that hole).
- glue it on
- screw it on and glue it
- install a few dowels to act as small tenons, then glue.
- embed a nut into the platter portion and a threaded rod into the base - making this 'removable'
- nut/threaded rod combo, but glued too
- other ideas?

Anyone have experience or ideas regarding with such things?

Secondly - is there any rule of thumb about base design - specifically how wide it needs to be in order for platter to be reasonable stable?

These are 'lifetime gifts' for now-adult daughters that grew up playing in this tree.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would make sure the base is at least 3/4 diameter of the platter (12" platter, 9" base).

You would also mortice/tenon and use a wedge to give some visual focal point when not covered with a cake.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
a large dowel connecting platter and base could also be wedged on both ends to secure the dowel.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think the size the base needs to be depends on how tall it is. I'd aim for making the base 2/3 of the top. That should be stable enough. But I would definitely make a prototype out of MDF or some other scrap, to also see how it looks.

As for attachment, if it's long grain to long grain, glue works just fine. If you're using some sort of spindle between base and top, I'd go with threaded rod and a nut. If it's long grain to end grain, through dowels with a contrasting wood are easy to install and look great too.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I think the size the base needs to be depends on how tall it is. I'd aim for making the base 2/3 of the top. That should be stable enough. But I would definitely make a prototype out of MDF or some other scrap, to also see how it looks.

As for attachment, if it's long grain to long grain, glue works just fine. If you're using some sort of spindle between base and top, I'd go with threaded rod and a nut. If it's long grain to end grain, through dowels with a contrasting wood are easy to install and look great too.

Yes Bas, agreed. I was going to mock up the base size for looks and stability - but did not know if there was a 'rule-of-thumb'.
I had considered the grain in the glue up, but not thought of contrasting through dowels - thanks!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS