Cabinet Hinges

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
As I have probably mentioned in another forum somwhere, I am just before redoing our kitchen. That means new cabinets from scratch.

We like the concealed euro hinges since you see no hinge when the doors are shut. I did not realize there were so many options on the hinges:BangHead:.

What is the most popular hinge being used now for overlay doors? Maybe I should ask what is the best hinge for the buck? I am a believer that the cheapest price is not always the best buy. Which brands are considered good hinges all around?

So what are our experienced cabinet makers using?:-?

Any help will be appreciated since I have absolutely no experience with using euro hinges. Thanks in advance.

Jerry

nelsone

New User
Ed
Blum will probably be at the top of the list. Their Blumotion hinges are very nice...no door slamming.

M

McRabbet

Jerry,

I've used 95 degree half overlay hinges from both Blum and 110 degree from Hettich Intermat and they both perform well. I like to use the adjustable mounting plates for either, and since I like the side face frames flush with the cabinet sides, I mount them on the side walls. As you probably know, both companies made a full range of hinges for various cabinet door styles and they open as far as 165 degrees.

I buy all my cabinet hardware stuff from Custom Service Hardware in Wisconsin and have found them very reliable and with great prices.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am a Blum fan as well. I have used a few others (Hettich and Grass) and find them to be good quality as well.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
I've used a few different brands and will stick with the consensus that Blum is my favorite. For cabinets that will last for decades, a few more dollars per hinge is no big deal. I especially like the amount of literature available on from them.

I have only used their full overlay, but I think that the half-overlay are 3-way adjustable too. I do like face-frame cabinets, which Blum has hinges for, but you would give up some adjustability.

I generally order from Woodworkers' Hardware

-G

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Jerry,
The only one's I've used are, you guessed it, Blum. They are pretty much the industry standard, best I can tell from reading CWB and other industry magazines. I think they are made right here in NC. If you need a place to check them out before ordering, Woodcraft has them. WC's price might be a little steep to buy a full kitchen's worth.
Rob

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I used these.
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=134-531&search=Blum

and bought one of these.
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=947-828&search=Blum

both worked out real well. They have been in use for over 3 years and no sign of wear. whatever you decide get some that are fully ajustable. you"ll be glad you did.

fred

Thanks to all for the comments. The comments confirmed what I thought would be the best choices.

It seems as the item you want is never available though:rotflm:. LOML wants face frame with doors that open 170 degrees and as little as possible space between doors that hinge next to each other. So I figure a 1 1/2" stile and 3/4" overlay doors would do that. But alas----for a 170 opening face frame application----5/8 overlay is the most overlay I saw listed. I really do not want to get under 1 1/2" on the width of a stile,..................... so LOML may have to live with at least 1/4" between the doors hinged side by side.

Thanks again to all the comments:icon_thum

Oh! BTW Fred--------I bought one of the hinge boring heads when I bought the drill press last year--------and it is still in the box. LOL

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS