CA Glue advice

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Some great info here. CA glue has a lot of uses... Filling gaps, small part assembly, finish, stabilizing cracks in boards etc. But it excels at gluing skin.

Any tips on preventing the cap from sticking to the tip? I find that I get some crud buildup over time preventing a good seal. I've switched back from larger bottles to the small aluminum tubes, but by volume that's not terribly efficient.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeff,
What is low odor amine?
Is the "N,N-dimethyl-p-toluidine" acetone?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Some great info here. CA glue has a lot of uses... Filling gaps, small part assembly, finish, stabilizing cracks in boards etc. But it excels at gluing skin.

Any tips on preventing the cap from sticking to the tip? I find that I get some crud buildup over time preventing a good seal. I've switched back from larger bottles to the small aluminum tubes, but by volume that's not terribly efficient.

Acetone or DNA on a rag to wipe off the tip and the cap. Krazy glue has a little pin that goes in the tip but that also fails over time. It's the moisture in the air!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Jeff,
What is low odor amine?
Is the "N,N-dimethyl-p-toluidine" acetone?

Amines have a distinctive smell similar to ammonia. A low odor amine has a low odor so you probably won't smell it. It is not acetone. Sniff a bottle of nail polish remover----that's acetone.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
so is an Amine Ammonia? (or a derivative?)

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Didn't see anyone mention it but when you glue your fingers together (speaking from experience) 100% pure acetone (finger nail polish remover) will dissolve the CA glue from your skin safely.

djvanduy

New User
Jason
Maybe a bit late to the discussion. I use alot of CA, although my work is mainly wood turning hollow vessels. Alot of good info above, although I will mention that I do a bit of filling with it, i.e. cracks, wormholes, etc. I have had really good luck with filling defects that match the adjacent wood by using CA thin in combination with the finest shavings that I produce from shear scraping. I basically pack the shavings in the defect and flood the area with CA to make a composite fill. A good trick with CA is to apply a bit of your finish around the adjacent areas too to help prevent glue marks. As long as most of your void is filled with shavings then you get a good density and color match. CA and sawdust doesn't work quite as well there is almost always a bit of sagging that occurs but it works decently in the smallest of problems, i.e. fine line cracks, etc.

JVD
www.vanduynwoodwork.com

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors