CA finish problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nblong

New User
Bruce
Inspired by Alex's technique I've been working on CA finishes for my pens. I'm pretty pleased with the sheen but today after I took a Sapele Slimline off the mandrel I noticed these milky spots next to the center band. They weren't there when I first finished the final polishing. (Honest!)

It looks like a layer or two of the CA is delaminating but I'm too chicken to see if I can peel any layers away. Anyone have ideas about what I did wrong and how to prevent it from happening again?

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Yep... what you got there is a case of delamination. It can happen in a number of ways...
1) if the glue gets on the bushing you can get delam when you free it from the pen; I'll use a skew to make a light scoring cut if it's needed
2) after removing the pen from the mandrel the glue will sometimes extend beyond the wood; this can cause delamination during assembly

At least that's what's happened to me :gar-La;

jpr28056

New User
Joe
+1 on what Bob said. Two other things you can do to try is put some wax on your bushings so the CA will not stick to them. Or, if you turn a lot of pens you can get delrin bushings to use while doing the finishing.

Yep... what you got there is a case of delamination. It can happen in a number of ways...
1) if the glue gets on the bushing you can get delam when you free it from the pen; I'll use a skew to make a light scoring cut if it's needed
2) after removing the pen from the mandrel the glue will sometimes extend beyond the wood; this can cause delamination during assembly

At least that's what's happened to me :gar-La;

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 on what Bob said. Two other things you can do to try is put some wax on your bushings so the CA will not stick to them. Or, if you turn a lot of pens you can get delrin bushings to use while doing the finishing.

So where do you get/buy delrin bushings?

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I think it's caused by the humidity. A month ago I had to turn almost 15 pens for my friends wedding. And wouldn't you know I had several get those milky spots. The solution? Fresh glue (mine wasn't that old but I was sick of the frustration) and accelerator. A light coat of CA, a blast of accelerator and the world was good again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS